We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to wear .... again!

Which Cairo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
Level Contributor
114 posts
Save Topic
What to wear .... again!

I have read most of the posts on this topic, and understand that we must cover up. However, what about see-through clothing?

I have a very thin 'cardigan', made of cotton which I think would be quite handy, but it is a bit see-through - sort of like cheesecloth. Do you think it would be OK to wear over a sleeveless top or one that shows a bit of chest?

Thanks.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cairo, Egypt, Nile River Valley, Luxor
Level Contributor
8,880 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to wear .... again!

Mas, I wear a lot of cheesecloth tops over singlets, they are fine. I buy a lot of my Egypt clothes from the Indian type shops in Oz, the loose lightweight khaftan type tops they sell are perfect.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
4,146 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to wear .... again!

I believe that should work out ok, it is a good solution to wear a blouse over sleeveless tops, I do that a lot and it works well, and a lot of local ladies do the same. Might be a good idea to also bring another blouse which is not quite as see-though too, just a suggestion.

Regards

Wendy

Australia
Level Contributor
114 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What to wear .... again!

Thanks so much for your replies ladies, very helpful.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
52 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to wear .... again!

Hi

Just want to agree with the above. I was in Egypt 3 years ago and will be going back again in July (yay!!). I'm definitely packing a little white cotton 3/4 sleeve cardi that I took on the last trip as it was extremely handy! It is slightly see-through but I wore it over sleeveless and singlet-type tops to places like the pyramids and the temples and felt comfortable with what I was wearing had no problems.

montreal
Level Contributor
105 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to wear .... again!

If you arrive at the mosque at the citadel they will provide an ample robe if you are overly bare. I carried a couple of light scarves, they tie around the neck or waist comfortably and can easily serve as cover ups if needed.

6. Re: What to wear .... again!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2009, 19:20