We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tickets to enter the Great Pyramids

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
Tickets to enter the Great Pyramids

We will be going to Egypt for the first time on May 6 (for 12 days), and the excitement is really building up!! We were wondering if early-mid May is still high tourist season and therefore there will be loads of tourist visiting the pyramids? And, how difficult would it be to get tickets to enter the Great Pyramids on our own around this time?

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
1,324 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tickets to enter the Great Pyramids

A limited number of people (one or two hundred)can enter the Great Pyramid of Khufu at 9AM, & the same number after 1PM. Khafre's & Menkaure's Pyramids are open on a rotating basis, & more people are allowed into those.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tickets to enter the Great Pyramids

Thanks for the info!

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tickets to enter the Great Pyramids

Hi again eeyore,

With regards to going inside the Pyramids at Giza.

I have been in all 3 many times, or should I say Khufu's and Khafre's many times and Menkhuare's once.

The reason being that Menkhaure's was little more than a public toilet. It has one desending corridor which leads to an unfinished rough-cut chamber and the smell of 'stale' urine down there was overpowering! So much so, that it was causing the few people who did go in to 'gag' to the point of vomitting.,

Unless they have given it a severe sanitising since I last visited and made the guards a lot more respectful of their surroundings and had a serious word with them about their 'bathroom' habits, I would not bother with this one. And I say that being a big Pyramid 'fan'.

It is in no way as spectacular and exciting as the other two.

montreal
Level Contributor
105 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tickets to enter the Great Pyramids

We entered the second pyramid and actually it was a little disappointing especially considering the ticket price. If you`re going to Saaqara you can enter a more impressive pyramid without paying a supplement.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
417 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Tickets to enter the Great Pyramids

It will be still quite high tourist season, tourists will be begining to leave. however delaying your trip any longer would be barbaric, the heat is unbearable during may, i am speaking from experience, my sister fainted from the heat.

Even in low season there are loads of tourists visitng, however there shouldnt be too many, and it wont be difficult to get a ticket. Try saying ticket pelase, they should understand, if that doesnt work try saying Taskara Men Fadlak, that means ticket please.

Good luck

(it should be easy to find a bilingual egptian close by if your still having problems.)

6. Re: Tickets to enter the Great Pyramids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2009, 05:31