We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kids on a 1-day-trip to Cairo

Which Cairo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Copenhagen
Level Contributor
379 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Kids on a 1-day-trip to Cairo

Me and my wife are soon going to Sharm for a 14-day holiday with our 2 kids, a girl aged 9 and a boy aged 5.

We're planning on going for a trip to Cairo. We really have'nt decided yet whether it's gonna be a 1- or 2-day-trip. But one thing I know is, that we're probably gonna go for the busride-option, due to the low prices compared to airplane.

I know that we all - and especially the kids are gonna be really tired after the 6-7 hour trip from Sharm.

Can anyone advise me on what they think would be the best trip-plan for us to follow - both in regard to the 1-day and the 2-day-trip.

We want to see the museum and the pyramids - what pyramids should we go for, in regard to location nearest to the museum? We wanna spend the least time possible on transport, once we're in Cairo. We would also probably want to go shopping while there.

We would like to visit other sights and attractions, but as our kids don't speak english, we are not in for long-time-talking-guides or things like that. What would be the greatest and best thing to do for either the 1- or 2-day-trip in regard to the kids? What would be the best trip for them?

Hope someone can help us.

Thanks.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
1,324 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kids on a 1-day-trip to Cairo

I suggest that you plan to spend 2 days. You can see The Pyramids & The Sphinx at Giza, then the Museum, on one day. Dahshur and Saqqara should be considered for your second day. Saqqara is a wonderful site, & most people don't get to spend enough time there. The Tomb of Mereruka is my favorite.

I haven't been to Egypt with little children - my youngest was 12 on our first trip, and already a great lover of ancient Egypt. If you think they can't handle 2 days of Pyramids, you might consider taking them to Dr. Ragab's Pharaonic Village. This is a recreation of life during ancient times.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
417 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Kids on a 1-day-trip to Cairo

since some-one already wrote for two days, heres one day:

Day 1 :

- giza sites (sphinx and pyramids)

- Museum

- Khan An Khalil (if your not too tired, or you if you are staying two days you could go on the next night)

Day 2 (optional)

- saqqara and darshur

- Old cairo

Copenhagen
Level Contributor
379 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kids on a 1-day-trip to Cairo

Thank You very much for Your good advise. It helps a lot.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh, Red Sea and Sinai, Side
Level Contributor
20,152 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kids on a 1-day-trip to Cairo

Hi,

Link to some pics of the Giza pyramids, Saqqara & Darshur, plus the environs around Giza:

…photobucket.com/albums/…

&

…photobucket.com/albums/…

Regards

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh, Red Sea and Sinai, Side
Level Contributor
20,152 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kids on a 1-day-trip to Cairo

Sorry, had a blonde moment - not uploaded my Darshur & Saqqara ones yet so it's as I said, minus those 2!

Regards

6. Re: Kids on a 1-day-trip to Cairo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 January 2014, 09:44
Copenhagen
Level Contributor
2,043 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kids on a 1-day-trip to Cairo

Trust me, if you go with the tour-option from your travel agent, your day(s) will be packed and there will not be much time for anything but the pre-arranged programme, which will take you to the main sites and sights of Cairo, such as Giza-pyramids, Museum, Khan al-Khalili bazar, Sakkara, Imhotep-museum in Sakkara etc.

You will not, also considering you are spending the 6-7 hours travelling back and forth to Sharm, want to do much more than collapsing with a sigh of relief late afternoon when the tour is over.

Since I know from your posts in the Sharm forum that you are travelling in July, the heat will be so intense, that you and your family will need all the rest you can get, once the day's tour is over.

And Cairo (and surroundings) is a huge city, so a certain amount of transportation is unavoidable, no matter what. All pyramids are in the desert (also those in Giza, but the city has grown, so that it is at the edge of the pyramids) and to visit them, you'll have to include an amount of transportation.

If you choose the one-day option, forget about shopping, except for souvenirs. Depending on the location of the hotel if you choose a two-day tour, you could of course spend the evening (most shops and malls are open at night) shopping.

Louise

Copenhagen
Level Contributor
379 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kids on a 1-day-trip to Cairo

Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
4,146 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kids on a 1-day-trip to Cairo

I just want to add that the bus ride is very tiring and long, so if you can manage to book flights it would really be worth it. You should search on the Egyptair sight for the flights and put Egypt as your country, this gives a lower price. It is an e-ticket so there is no problem.

Regards

Wendy

Timbuktu, Mali
Level Contributor
219 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Kids on a 1-day-trip to Cairo

i was in Cairo last year and i hired a taxi for the whole day for 160el..thats about £15 british pounds...for this i went to Dashur,Menphis ,Saqqara

and even went to a factory where the local kids make gorgeous rugs!....the kids will love it because your not rushing around and they will love the views of the country-side...and haggling a good price is not as bad as some say just state your price and then show them the money ...very few will walk away if any at all!!..and dont pay until you get back!..

and for yor second day take a taxi for between 10-15el to the great pyramids...dont pay too much..and always agree a price before you get in and make sure the price is for the CAR not pp...and maybe a nice dinner on one of the boats on the Nile at night will be nice for you all ...Egypt is a great place for kids i myself will be taking my own 2 sons there in january for about 8 weeks and there aged 5-8...and cant wait!!..lol...you and your kids will have a great time..but if it's your first time there it seems quite mad!...just stay firm and haggle with a sense of humor...also take a cooler bag for your water etc..you will need loads...