We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Egyptian Visa for Brits

London, UK
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Egyptian Visa for Brits

Hi there,

We're a couple of brits doing a 4 day trip to Cairo and the pyramids. The egyptian website is a little unclear so I wondered if anyone could help.

Do we need visas? can you do it by post? and if not, does anyone know what the queues are like at teh embassy?

Many thanks

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
1,977 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Egyptian Visa for Brits

Yes, you do need a visa, but the good news is that, as British citizens, you can pick one up on arrival at Cairo International Airport.

I don't know which airline you are intending to travel with &, therfore, which terminal you will be arriving at (Egyptair & the other Star Alliance carriers are gradually moving to the newly opened Terminal 3), but as a general rule you will find bank kiosks upon entering the arrivals hall, but before immigration.

Simply walk up to one of these & present your passport & the equivalent of $15 US; £10 sterling should cover this at today's rate of exchange, but be prepared to hand over £15 & get change in Egyptian Pounds. For this they will either place one of the new visa stickers, or the equivalent in stamps, onto a free page of your passport (they use a free page so that you can have the exit stamp clearly visible, for when you leave).

Then all you need to do is proceed to one of the immigration desks; at which tthey will stamp your visa, & proceed to customs, & you're in Egypt.

Hope this clears things up.

Glen

Weymouth, United...
Level Contributor
755 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Egyptian Visa for Brits

Yes you can do it by post before you go. You can download the forms from the consulate website. Cost is £15 per person.

Alternatively you can get them at the airport when you arrive which many people do. Its cheaper (probably £10-12 each if not less) and saves the hanging about waiting for your bags to come offthe plane!

Try the Egyptian consulate website for advice. Its actually pretty good.

Enjoy!

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh, Red Sea and Sinai, Side
Level Contributor
20,337 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Egyptian Visa for Brits

Hi,

Yes you need a visa. A single entry visa is obtainable, easily, on arrival at the airport. You can't miss the desks / booths.

Try to avoid the Thomson / THomas Cook tour ops desk as they will charge £13 or $18 & the correct prices are $15 & about £10 or £11 sterling, depending on the rate. You can't pay in Egyptian pounds.

The only advantage of obtaining a visa beforehand is that the embassy issue 6m multiple entry ones, whereas the one obtained on arrival is for 1m only & single entry.

You can't go & obtain a visa on the same day from the embassy any more; you drop off your passport 7 2 photos & return 3 days later or do it all by post but post can be unpredictable unless you do it by courier as the docs ar eso important.

Regards

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh, Red Sea and Sinai, Side
Level Contributor
20,337 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Egyptian Visa for Brits

sorry for typo; should read "passport & 2 photos."

London, UK
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Egyptian Visa for Brits

Thanks everyone for your help and advice. Looks like a quick visa at the airport then.

Thanks again

Stephen

London, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Egyptian Visa for Brits

I had to get our visas in advance as my wife is non UK resident. We contacted the consulate in London via the 'contact us' facility on their website and got a quick repsonse. We travelled into London with all the papers and photos and there we no queues at all (this was late March). We had to pay in cash and returned 2 days later to collect - again no queues.

We live quite close to London so this was quite convenient. It saved us about half an hour in queues when we arrived in Cairo as there was only one bank issuing the visas.

The consulate is located in a nice part of London just behind Sloane Street and all the designer shops!

NY
Level Contributor
221 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Egyptian Visa for Brits

I don't know if aesthetics matter to you, but the visas granted at the airport are very pretty seals.

The one I got from my consulate was hideous-- mostly hand-written and featuring a couple of really generic postage stamps.

8. Re: Egyptian Visa for Brits

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 December 2009, 06:18
Get answers to your questions about Cairo