We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Compare 2 day tour guide itineraries please

Which Cairo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
217 posts
96 reviews
Save Topic
Compare 2 day tour guide itineraries please

I'm planning a 2 day (really 1 1/2 day) trip to Cairo while in port on a cruise in October. I've been in discussion with a few tour operators as well as I'm doing my own research and I would like your expert feedback on the 2 tour itineraries as, to me, the timing doesn't quite seem to work.

Logistics background: Arriving in Alexandria at 7am and leaving Alexandria at 6pm the next day. Staying overnight at Le Meridien Pyramids.

TOUR OPTION 1:

Day 1:

Leave Alexandria at 7:30 and drive to Giza

Giza - 3 hours approx including:

- Pyramid of Khufu and entrance

- Pyramid of Khefre

- Valley Temple

- Sphinx

- Solar Boat Museum

- camel ride

Lunch

Saqqara - 2 hours approx including:

- Step Pyramid

- Mastaba of Mereruka

- Pyramid of Teti and/or other Mastabas

Day 2:

Egyptian Museum - 2 hours approx

Lunch (Mena House)

Islamic Cairo - 1.5 hours approx including

- walking around are

- Khan el Khalili bazaar & Fishawy for coffee

Leave no later than 1pm for Alexandria

My concern here is that day 1 seems very light whereas Day 2 seems nearly impossible given that the Museum only opens at 9am (right?) and we need to leave by 1pm at the latest.

TOUR OPTION 2:

Day 1:

Leave Alexandria at 7:30 and drive to Cairo

Egyptian Museum - 2 hours

Lunch

Islamic Cairo - 2 hours approx including:

- Khan el Khalili bazaar & Fishawy for coffee

Day 2:

Saqqara including:

- Step Pyramid

- Mastaba of Mereruka

- Pyramid of Teti or other Mastabas, time permitting

Giza - including:

- See the 3 pyramids

- Enter the Great pyramid

- Valley Temple

- Sphinx

- Solar Boat Museum

- camel ride

Again it seems that day 1 is very light and day 2 is too busy. I'm afraid with both of these itineraries we'll end up cutting items in order to make it back to the ship on time.

I actually have my own thoughts on a preferred itinerary based on all your feedback from previous posts but thought I should go with the tour reco since they are the experts - not so sure now.

What do you think?

Weymouth, United...
Level Contributor
755 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Compare 2 day tour guide itineraries please

I vote for number one!

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
372 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Compare 2 day tour guide itineraries please

I agree with number 1 as well

3. Re: Compare 2 day tour guide itineraries please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 02 August 2009, 22:02
Melbourne
Level Contributor
417 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Compare 2 day tour guide itineraries please

I agree, the first option includes a lot, and is more spaced then the second.

The second is wasting the first day, whereas in the first you are utilizing it.

But, there is some practical questions to ask, do you get tired after long road trips? (2.5 hours) will you still be able to appreciate the pyramids if you are tired?

What are you going to do with your luggage on day 1 , until you get to the hotel?

You may already have thought all this out and solved this, but in all the excitement of things it is easy to forget practicalities. (such as phone chargers and camera chargers!!)

please ignore my above post, i pressed enter and accidentally submitted, have asked for it to be removed.

-CG

Copenhagen
Level Contributor
2,043 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Compare 2 day tour guide itineraries please

Well, I think your option number 2 is the best. I agree that the second day in option 2 is quite pressed, but if you get up early it should be do-able.

What I think is a waste of time in your option 1, day two is that you will go from Meridien Pyramids to downtown Cairo to see the museum, then back to the pyramids-area for lunch at Mena House and then back to downtown again to do Khan al-Khalili. That is not really a good option.

Let us say you arrive from Alex around 11 AM. Then you will spend 2 hours at the museum, maybe more. If we give and take a bit and also consider lunch and traffic, then you are in Khan al-Khalili around 2.30 PM. How long do you plan to stay there? Just a quick look to see the action or a longer stroll through shops and islamic monuments? If you are lucky, you could have time to catch a camel-ride by the pyramids on your way back. But yes, it will probably be rather pressed for time.

Next day you should aim at being in Sakkara around 7AM (do check opening times to make sure), spend 2 hours there in order to see step pyramid, Teti pyramid and mastabas. That should be enough time. Leaving Sakkara at 9, you will hopefully (depending on traffic) arrive at the Giza Plateau for pyramids, solar boat, camel ride, Sphinx and Valley-temple around 9.30-10.00 AM. Three hours for that is fine. If you are hungry when finished, there are fast food joints at the foot of the Sphinx plus small supermarkets where you can get sodas, crisps, chocolate etc for the ride back to Alex.

Have a great trip

Louise

Plus you will be very close to the Alex-desert road and will not have to go from downtown first.

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
217 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Compare 2 day tour guide itineraries please

Thanks everyone for your feedback. While I like the first tour I don't believe the 2nd day is possible given that we have to leave. So I'm looking at a version of tour #2 but I may move Saqqara to day #1 to ensure I have time on day #2.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,089 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Compare 2 day tour guide itineraries please

Hi Wakky_J, I'm planning a trip in December so looking at your itinerary helps me figure things out too. One question: are you planning to go into the big pyramid at Giza? Tickets are sold daily on a limited basis. If you go to Saqqara first, I wonder if there will still be tickets for the big pyramid.

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
1,595 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Compare 2 day tour guide itineraries please

Option 1 seems better, as the Saqarra & Giza itineraries can be quite time consuming &, thus, are best not left to the day that you have to head back to Alexandria.

The one problem I'd have is that the 1.5 hours allocated, on the second day, doesn't really allow much time to explore the Islamic city, as you may wish to visit one of the mosques/madressas & this would cut into your time in Khan el Khalili.

Additionally,a lot of people find it easier to relate to the museum exhibits after they have seen some of the ancient sites.

9. Re: Compare 2 day tour guide itineraries please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 February 2010, 06:30