We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swiss Air, Egypt Air, BMI or British Airways ????

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
70 posts
Save Topic
Swiss Air, Egypt Air, BMI or British Airways ????

We are sending our 21 yr old daughter to Cairo for 2 weeks at the end of December where she will be attending a family wedding. She will be flying from London to Cairo. I have been checking for air fares for a few weeks now and there are quite a few airlines to choose from. I don't have any experience with any of these airlines so I would like some advice. She will be travelling economy and although the 4 I have listed are not necessarily the least expensive they seem to have the best times for travel. Can anyone come up with any reasons why I should NOT choose any of them. I'm looking for someone who has flown this route and can give me an educated opinion. I know this is not an exact science but I'm willing to listen to anyone who can speak from experience. Thanks in advance for you help.

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,289 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Swiss Air, Egypt Air, BMI or British Airways ????

Obviously Swiss Air, Egypt Air and BA are all flag carriers with all that entails. BMI is perfectly good as far as I know. No reason to avoid any of them.

There are websites where you can check seat configurations and find out what films are showing on board. As its only a 4 1/2 hour flight though a girl of 21 ought to be able to tolerate anything offered. I'd just go on time of day and price, though BA has its own terminal at Heathrow. No need to make a big deal of it.

Alexandria, Egypt
Level Contributor
884 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Swiss Air, Egypt Air, BMI or British Airways ????

Swiss Air will involve a change over in Zurich - so will add a bit onto the travel time, but is a good airline regardless and I enjoyed my flights with them. I chose them from a money perspective though and not time perspective.

The other three are direct and I have flown on them all. Probably enjoyed the BA flight most, BMI and Egyptair have a codeshare now. Of them all I liked Egyptair the least. Seats were comfy enough - but flight attendants weren't up to much and I try to avoid Egyptair unless absolutely necessary or they have a great offer on the fare.

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Swiss Air, Egypt Air, BMI or British Airways ????

Just a bit of information that could save some money on BMI flights from Heathrow - Cairo.

Apart from the 09:15 service, the flights that BMI will offer are all code-shares operated by Egyptair; with the one true BMI flight bring code-shared by Egyptair. When looking at flights for my trip, in July, I did contemplate BMI (I actually used Air France, so as to avoid a tight connection in London) & found that you can normally save a bit of money booking seats on the BMI operated flight through the Egyptair website (in the region of £60 - £100 depending on the dates of travel).

I've done the route with Egyptiar a few times, many years ago, & found them to be okay; good seat pitch & generally on time. They are due to change their inflight catering, so the meals should improve form the standard choices of, "chicken or meat". One thing they don't have on the Boeing 777s they use is personal TVs for inflight entertainment but this might not be such a problem with what could be seen as a night flight.

BA was slightly cheaper than BMI, but the flight arrived in Cairo in the wee hours of the morning & had some wierd conditions attached to the cheaper tickets; although the last time I flew this route with them they were perfectly adequate in terms of comfort & service; but that was 11 years ago.

There's lots of good reports on Swiss on the frequent flyer sites, but they've never been an option from Manchester, due to long transit times in Zurich, so I've no personal experience.

UK
Level Contributor
2,879 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Swiss Air, Egypt Air, BMI or British Airways ????

We used BMI for the first time in May when we flew to and from Cairo ex-Heathrow. We normally fly with BA but didn't like their arrival and departure timings on their once a day flight.

We found BMI were excellent and would readily fly with them again. Easy check in, flights on time, good in flight service with pleasant crew.

Hampstead, New...
Level Contributor
112 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Swiss Air, Egypt Air, BMI or British Airways ????

We're flying the BMI flight on Tuesday. I'll let you know how it goes. I got a GREAT rate on their business class by booking it via the Egypt Air website. It was about $50 over the normal coach seat cost. Does anyone know if we're supposed to check in with Egypt Air or BMI in Heathrow since it's a code share? Anyone know which terminal that would be in? We're flying to London on American and were hoping we wouldn't have to switch terminals but it seems that never works out.

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Swiss Air, Egypt Air, BMI or British Airways ????

With codeshares it's not the airline that sells the ticket, but the one that operates the flight that determines who you check-in with.

Thus, as BMI use Terminal 1 at Heathrow &, if your codeshare is operated by them (really only the 09:15 flight each day), then this is the terminal you'd check-in at.

However, if the flight is actually operated by Egyptair, then you'd check-in with Egyptair, in Terminal 3.

Thankfully, everything should be signposted at the Heathrow flight connections Centre.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
902 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Swiss Air, Egypt Air, BMI or British Airways ????

I don't know about BMI or Swiss Air, (although I would expect Swiss Air to be excellent) but we have flown British Air and Egypt Air many times. I agree with an earlier comment; only use Egypt Air when you have too. Their planes seem older and are not the cleanest. For flights within Egypt, you have no choice but Egypt Air. We are always happy with our flights on British Air.

Nuweiba, Egypt
Level Contributor
2,176 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Swiss Air, Egypt Air, BMI or British Airways ????

The only one I have not flown with is BMI, but I usually always book with Swiss. There is an early morning connection leaving LHR just after 6 a.m. and arriving, via Zurich, in Cairo at around 2.30 p.m.

Going back, you leave Cairo at 4 p.m. and are in London by about 9 p.m.

I would always recommend Swiss as they suit me price-wise, service wise and schedule wise. The trick for Swiss is to book on the Lufthansa website ( Swiss belongs to Lufthansa ) as you get the same price and can reserve your actual seat when making the booking.

All arrive at the nice new Terminal 3 in Cairo except BA.

London, United...
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Swiss Air, Egypt Air, BMI or British Airways ????

i flew with BA to cairo in April and i had a lovely flight, the air hostsses were all very kind and the entertainmment was great. im not a keen lover of plane food but as far as it goes it was ok. In August i flew with BMI to cairo and again flight was good but out of the 2 i would choose to fly with Ba just because you can choose what to watch when you want to. BMI start there films at the same time and have them on a loop, i found myself always watching films half way through. Havent ever flown with Swiss or Egypt air. hope it helps clare

Bristol
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Swiss Air, Egypt Air, BMI or British Airways ????

I flew with BA in August and thought that it was a lovely experience. Everybody has their own TV's, with choice of movies etc, in flight meals and drinks (all included in the price) and the cabin crew were all lovely. I even had 3 seats to myself on the way there so I spralled out and they are incredibly comfortable. When you check-n online you can choose your own seat.

I'm going back in December and am now thinking of trying SwissAir as it's £50 cheaper and you get to Cairo earlier and leave to come back later, the only thing putting me off is the 6am flight, which means getting to Heathrow in the early hours, and then getting back to Heathrow at night, which for me means getting back to Bristol in the early hours.

Prices of BMI and EgyptAir were far more expensive though so, £50 difference........Swiss or BA?