We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public Holidays

Penrith, Australia
Level Contributor
490 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Public Holidays

I have just found out that while we are in Egypt there are a number of Public Holidays: Hajj (Eid al-Adha) - 28 Nov, Grand Feast - 27-28 Nov and Hijrah(Islamic New Year)- 18 Dec.

I am wondering what can we expect to see? I look forward to witnessing different countries celebrate and wonder how we could get the most out of the experience.

Any information regarding these events would be appreciated.

Alexandria, Egypt
Level Contributor
884 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Public Holidays

Eid al-Adha is more popularly known as The Feast of the Sacrifice. At this time a lot of sheep, goats, cows and buffaloes are slaughtered in the streets, especially on the first day of the 3 day feast. It can be a bit of an unpleasant experience if this kind of thing makes you queasy.

You will see lots of sheep corralled in pens around the city streets waiting for a buyer.

As a public three day holiday, you can expect lots of people to be about in the streets, especially of an evening, horse rides and small fairs, lots of light and bustle.

Islamic New Year isn't such a big event. Maybe just a few more people on the streets enjoying the day or evening off.

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
146 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Public Holidays

Hi

Sorry EgyptianGoddess

Eid Al Adha (Al Eid El Kebir) is 4 days holidays

Eid Al Fetir (Al Eid El Soghayar) is 3 days holidays

Best regards

Melbourne
Level Contributor
417 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Public Holidays

SashaCairo is correct,

Eid Al Adha is 4 days and called Al Eid El Kebir , this is literally translated into the bid eid, simply because its 1 day longer.

The first day of the Eid the streets are quite and is an excellent day to avoid traffic, but this is not the case of the second and third day.

- CG

Melbourne
Level Contributor
417 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Public Holidays

Would just like to add that yesterday was the 6th of October public holiday for Egypt. This is the day they won the war against Israel for the Sinai region.,

The only difference i noticed, was people on the roads selling flags, and less traffic, -specially before 3pm.

- CG

Penrith, Australia
Level Contributor
490 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Public Holidays

Many thanks for the information. Looking forward to all that Egypt has to offer, any extra celebrations and events will be a bonus.

6. Re: Public Holidays

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 April 2010, 05:17