We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - 3 nights in Cairo

North east England
Level Contributor
86 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report - 3 nights in Cairo

We flew with Egyptair into Terminal 3 at Cairo airport . The flight and experience at the airport were excellent. Lovely clean efficient Terminal and very easy to buy visas and change money at the bank there.

After some problems getting into our room because of a faulty lock and a sales pitch by the tour guide to try to persuade us to take the trips he was offering we were glad to be able to have a good night's rest .

We were taken to see the Pyramids and Sphinx which were just as wonderful as we had imagined and we also decided to go to the Solar boat museum on the south side of. the great pyramid. This holds a full size ancient Egyptian boat discovered in 1200 pieces in a pit beside the pyramid .Experts took 14 years to put the boat together and it is an amazing sight.

Our guide then took us to a perfume factory where we had a drink and used the clean toilets but didn't buy anything. We refused to go to a papyrus factory as we had other plans.

In the afternoon we negotiated a taxi from the Movenpick hotel to take us to the Mohammed ali mosque at the Citadel, the Sultan Hassan mosque and the Ibn Tulun mosque. The taxi driver , who spoke good engish also took us through the Khan-al-khalili bazaar to the 11th century Bab Zuweila gate and then to the Restaurant Gad where we had a meal and used the toilets .

We then saw the free Whirling Dervish show at the beautiful early 17th century Wikalat al-Gouri. Khalid , our driver ,waited for us until the end of the show which finished at 10pm and then took us back to the hotel. It coat the 4 of us about £10 each.

The next morning our tour guide took us to the Egyptian museum and gave us an excellent tour of the highlights which took all morning. We decided to stay at the museum after our guide had finished and we had a snack-lovely fresh mango juice and a sandwich at the overpriced but convenient cafe at the museum before looking at more of the exhibits and spent more time looking at King Tut's vast treasures. This museum is a must if you visit Cairo.

We got the metro from the museum to the Coptic Museum and Hanging church, so called because it was built on top of the water gate of the old Roman fortress of Babylon.

A little way from the main sites Coptic cairo is a crowded , dirty and poor area as we found when we walked to the next metro stop. Eventually the metro will go as far as the pyramids but it is still under construction so it isn't really a good idea to get the metro to Giza station as we did!

The traffic in Cairo was unbelievable but despite all the horns constantly honking , all the drivers were very good humoured and even near misses only elicited a shrug , wave or smile. We didn't see any road rage . Our driver kept apologising for the traffic but we found watching people walk out in front of cars, several small children on the back of a motor bike and even 2 men carrying a large plate of glass across the road absolutely fascinating .

I would certainly recommend cairo as a city to visit.

I would also like to thank all the contributors to trip advisor for all the information which helped in the planning of our trip.

Odette

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
210 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report - 3 nights in Cairo

Thanks Odette for the trip report. Very good insight. Will be spending 3 days in Cairo end of December so definitely looking forward to it.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
3,112 posts
335 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report - 3 nights in Cairo

That was a great read. Your mix of driver and guide and also the metro are exactly what we are planning.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,195 posts
1,437 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report - 3 nights in Cairo

thanks for your trip report Odette, we also recently visited Cairo - I've yet to write my report....we found just hiring a taxi for the day was the best way to go in Cairo. we also used a guide for the Pyramids.

I also went to the perfume shop.....I did however buy a bottle !

EM.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report - 3 nights in Cairo

Thanks for your TR Odette. Also recently visited Cairo. About those perfume and papyrus "outlets"....our guide told us it was mandatory by the Egyptian government to visit them if you take a tour. Don't know if that's true though. I hate places like that and staying outside was a good reason to talk to locals but DW loved those stores.

Welcome back Em. Aren't we already Egypt experts-lol- Hope you and P. had a great time.

Tet

5. Re: Trip Report - 3 nights in Cairo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 May 2010, 05:17