We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A must-enjoy in Cairo (Half Day Walking Tour)!!

Which Cairo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
cairo
Level Contributor
483 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
A must-enjoy in Cairo (Half Day Walking Tour)!!

While you are in Cairo, make sure you make a half day walking tour in the area surrounding Khan El-khalili-but this time IS not for shopping!

after your Lunch tell your taxi driver, your guide, or try arranging it before you leave to Cairo that you want to be dropped off by Bab Zwaila.....

From Bab Zwaila, walk in the Ghoria street, before you walk, you can climb stairs to the top of the Zwaila Gate to see the beautiful view of the minarets around you, or you can go to Al-moaid mosque(next door) and climb for the same view.

Walk in the Egyptian market to see people buying and selling

sheets and clothes, and you will pass by some pure cotton shops.

After wards you will get the chance to enter the mosque of El-Fakahani from the ancient Islamic period just before you see the Ghori great complex..This is just the end of Ghoria street (remember the extension of this street takes another name which is Al-Moez ledin ellah street.

From Ghori complex to the right side is Ghori Wekala, just continue walking until you see a big mosque-now you are infront of Al-Azhar mosque to your left ( a little street takes you to the main entrance of the mosque which is on a big street called Al-Azhar street), across the street is Khan El-khalili tourist bazaar and the mosque of Al-Hussein ( grandson of our Profit-POGUH).

Now after seeing Al-Azhar mosque, cross the street by the tunnel, and start walking back to the extension of Ghori complex (Al-Moez ledin ellah street where you will pass by some tourist shops, you will see the complex of Sultan Qalawon just after crossing Al-Moski street and the Jewelery shops area.

Facing you is a Sabil and Kotab divides the street into 2 branches ( the most right side is a little street takes you to Beshtak palace which is closed for restoration), back to the division point, take the left branch of the street which will take you to Bait El-Sohaimi. See the Sohaimi house and then you will be so close to Bab Al-fotoh.

The ancient Cairo was built by the Fatimid 1100 years ago. Used to be surrounded with an enclosure wall with three gates ( Bab Zwaila, Bab Al-fotoh, and Bab El-Naser).

Walk back to Khan El-Khalili, Find El-Fishawy Cafe for a worth cup of Egyptian tea.

Edited: 17 January 2010, 20:29
Australia
Destination Expert
for Cairo, Egypt, Nile River Valley, Luxor
Level Contributor
8,429 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A must-enjoy in Cairo (Half Day Walking Tour)!!

Thank you Boss, why not add this as a travellers article so it won't get lost on the forum. I have walked all over the area "people watching" it is a fascinating place, I get lost a lot but that is okay:) The last time I was there was during the Egypt/Algeria match and got very lost but with the help of some locals made it back to Hussein Square.

cairo
Level Contributor
483 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A must-enjoy in Cairo (Half Day Walking Tour)!!

Not at all Beautiful lady Nefertari :)

Say Hello to RamsesII

cairo
Level Contributor
483 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A must-enjoy in Cairo (Half Day Walking Tour)!!

Nefertari, do you mean i make it like a review??

Michigan
Level Contributor
23 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A must-enjoy in Cairo (Half Day Walking Tour)!!

Thanks Boss! I'm leaving for Egypt in 2.5 weeks and hope to follow your half day walk. It sounds fantastic!

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cairo, Egypt, Nile River Valley, Luxor
Level Contributor
8,429 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A must-enjoy in Cairo (Half Day Walking Tour)!!

Hi Boss its under things to do in Cairo -

tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g294201-Activiti…

Just click on Add a new article - put in a brief heading like "Cairo half day walking tour" - it will be very helpful and you can direct people to the article when they ask:)

cairo
Level Contributor
483 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A must-enjoy in Cairo (Half Day Walking Tour)!!

Great, thanks Nefertari

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
320 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A must-enjoy in Cairo (Half Day Walking Tour)!!

Hi boss! Nice “meeting” you :)

This is one absolutely brilliant guidance! Many thanks for posting this detailed itinerary.

Brings back so many lovely memories… And it’s so perfectly outlined that makes feel I’m back to Cairo and do it all over again :)

I have planned almost the same tour for myself, based on the LP and RoughGuide recommendations. But, being the first time to Cairo and willing to save time (and not having your brilliant post by that time yet :) I used a guide to get me around. By the way, Al-Fakahani Mosque wasn’t on my plan, but my guide did show me in this gem on Sharia Al-Muizz (or is it still Ghoria?). Not at all a touristy place, it was very cozy and “real”, if I may say so.

Many thanks for confirming that Qasr Beshtak is closed for renovation. Both LP and Rough are very positive about it, so I was kind of disappointed to find out I couldn’t come up.

By the way, at this point my guide, willing to save my day :), suggested me to see one of the “Baits” (Houses) that I didn’t initially plan to visit. And what a lovely idea it turned out to be! The mansion appeared full of secrets with its ample small rooms, narrow corridors, hidden halls and a lovely inner yard.

If I may add something to your excellent guidance, boss, close to Qalaun, there are An-Nasir Mohamed and Barquq that make magnificent ensemble altogether, don’t you think? I would suggest looking back while heading to Sabil Kuttab, to see them in the entire beauty.

By the way, I think Al-Muayyad Mosque that you mentioned is worth visiting not only for the view. It’s splendid both in- and outside, and its tender red colours are hard to pass by without noticing.

All in all, you’ve posted fabulous walking tour guidance and I second Nef’s suggestion on making a Traveller Article out of it. Let know if you need any further help with it.

And many thanks again for your input! :)

PS oops, while I was writing my post, you’ve changed your avatar..

Edited: 18 January 2010, 22:45
cairo
Level Contributor
483 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A must-enjoy in Cairo (Half Day Walking Tour)!!

Al-Fakahani Mosque ;) Just remembered a funny thing, Just outside this mosque ( Al-Fakahani means Fruit seller) there is a real fruit seller occupying part of the tiny street with his amazing Guava and orange.

Cora_v , I have made an article it is here

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g294201-c130469/Cairo…

I Do not mind it you edit it and add your own part of Muayad Mosque and so, it would be great if you added your touch.

Edited: 18 January 2010, 23:13
Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
2,971 posts
328 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A must-enjoy in Cairo (Half Day Walking Tour)!!

I am really puzzled...as the OP "post" appears as an ad for Egypt Fun Tours under 1/2 day walking tours... see: www.egyptfuntours.com/index.php…

I thought the OP was an independent poster but it appears not and as such it is really an advertisement (or will be seen by many to be that).

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,251 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: A must-enjoy in Cairo (Half Day Walking Tour)!!

we did this during the Cairo Forum tour we had last month. We started at Bab Zwaila around 11:30 and we finished at 6 pm. So, it could take a bit more than half a day and we still did not enter all the sioghts on the route.