We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trips out of Cairo

Which Cairo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kalamata, Greece
Level Contributor
252 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Trips out of Cairo

We are visiting Egypt next month for the first time (5 days in Cairo and 5 in Luxor) and whilst we think we have (roughly) sorted out what we want to do in Cairo (without a guide!) we quite fancy the idea of spending a day outside the city. We are quite taken with the idea of a trip to the Canal: maybe Ismalia? According to Lonely Planet it's about a 2 hour bus ride and do-able. Alternativel Al-Fayoum sounds good on paper. Grateful for any comments or indeed, suggestions about somewhere else. Finally can anyone recommend a decent hotel at the airport - we have an early flight at the end of our trip. I'll post a similar query on the Luxor forum. Thanks in advance.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,251 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Trips out of Cairo

I will do the day trip part of the question..

I would vote for Alexandria. If you want to see the Suez Canal then it is Port Said.

Fayom should be good if you are a nature lover, but I don't know much about it.

Alexandria is easy to get there with the train. It is 2 hours from Cairo. Take the fast Torbeeny train at 8 am and return on any Torbeeni or Spanish train you fancy, but better book the tickets a day or two before you go.

In Alex, you can do lots of things. You must see the Citadel, the library, Montazah Park, Stanley Bridge, the Roman Theatre and the catacombs.

I have written a lot about Alex before, just search for my name and Alexandria and you will find many of these posts. If you still have questions let us know.

Port Said has fewer attractions, but you will sea the Suez Canal, the point where it meets the medetranian sea, you can cross by the ferry to Port Foad on the other side of the canal and there is a decent shopping district downtown and a number of good restarants.

The best way to go to Port Said is to hire a car and a driver from Cairo for a day. Same goes to Ismailia. I am not sure what you can do there though.

Try theblecab.com

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
167 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trips out of Cairo

Ismalia is the best point to see big ships acrrosing suez Canal,

Then you drive the car after you acrrose the canal by ferry to visit ( Tabbat El-shagara) which was fortified place Egyptian army got it back during the war 1973 , with the orignal weapons ...

it is very intersting to see & feel proud as Egyptian ....

then you drive back to the City to have sea food lunch then drive back to Cairo ....

Enjoy ur trip ...

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
167 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trips out of Cairo

Fayoum is one of the best palces to see real water falls in the heart of the desert at a place called Wadi El-Rayan then if you got Jeep 4*4 you can drive 30 mnts more to visit( Wadi El-Hetan ) Whale Valley here is the link ...

http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/1186

then if u have more time you will drive back to Maidoum to visit MAidoum Pyramid in place like an oasis very peacfull ...

when you fell hungry you will eat very fresh fish from Karron lake ...

really good Day out of Cairo only 2 hours driving from Cairo ..Enjoy it ...

Kalamata, Greece
Level Contributor
252 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trips out of Cairo

Thanks for this Darsh. We did look at Alexandria but would we do it justice in a day? It sounds a fantastic place but I think we'll save it for another visit. We'll check out your Alex posts though. Thanks for the info about Port Said - its just that Ismailia appears to be (according to the guide books) a more interesting place. Anyway thanks for your tips.

Kalamata, Greece
Level Contributor
252 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trips out of Cairo

Hi Cairodowntown. Thanks very much for your info and advice. Ismailia sounds really good especially with the added bonus of a trip to Tabbat El-shagara. However your description of Wadi El-Rayan also sounds very tempting. We'll check it out. Thanks again.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,251 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Trips out of Cairo

Well, although you can spend 2 days in Alexandria and more if you fall in Love with place and many people do, it is still possible to see its highlights in a day trip, bt the other day trip options are also good ones, so feel free to choose whatever that sounds better to you.

Kalamata, Greece
Level Contributor
252 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trips out of Cairo

Darsh - thanks for this and I understand what you say. We'll make up our minds eventually. Whatever happens we will make it to Alex either this or another time. On another subject - I've been intrigued by your (and others) posts about guides. I must say it was not until I looked at TA re our forthcoming trip that the thought of using a guide occured to me. I was staggered by the number of posts asking about or recommending 'guides' - more than anywhere else in my (limited) experience. I can understand their usefulness (local knowledge, time etc.,) on occasions, but to us nothing can beat the excitement and adventure of exploring a new city (or anywhere) on your own. The key point here is that you can do as much or as little as you want and are not goverened by an 'itinerary'.Providing you do your homework and go equipped with a good guidebook, maps, what else do you need. If there are problems you only have to ask someone and I cannot begin to remember the number of times we have been helped out by friendly locals. I don't mean to demean a guides' worth and I have to say (and I mean it) your 'TA' tour idea sounds great not least because presumably, someone could bale out at any time! Certainly, on occasions we've taken organised tours/trips when it has suited us and they can be fun. Anyway - these are just my views and please, shoot me down if you think I'm talking tosh! Good luck with your tour project.

8. Re: Trips out of Cairo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 July 2010, 05:17