We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

visas for US passport holders coming in from Cyprus

Rochester, Minnesota
Level Contributor
820 posts
122 reviews
Save Topic
visas for US passport holders coming in from Cyprus

After our meeting in Cyprus, we are thinking about going on to Cairo for just 2 days before heading back to the States. We are both US passport holders. We understand that we can obtain a tourist visa upon arrival at the airport in Cairo for about USD 15 each. Is this accurate? Does the fact that we will be coming in from Cyprus present any problems?

And how hot will it be in Cairo in early - mid June?

Many thanks in advance for your help!

Memphis Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips, Historical & Heritage Tours, Cultural Tours
Egypt Tailor Made Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Multi-day Tours, Private Tours, Photography Tours, Day Trips
Emo Tours Egypt
City Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours, Other Outdoor Activities
Ramasside Tours
Multi-day Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
Sherwood Park...
Level Contributor
259 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: visas for US passport holders coming in from Cyprus

Yes you can get them from the Cairo airport. Make sure to get it from the Bank to the side of the customs lines before getting in the customs line, or else you just wasted all that time and will be sent to get it anyway. Yes it is $15.

That time of year should be chilly with chance of snow....

Actually Egypt only has two seasons, ridiculously hot and stupid hot. You will just be getting there at the beginning of stupid hot. Make sure your room as A/C.

Rochester, Minnesota
Level Contributor
820 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: visas for US passport holders coming in from Cyprus

ShaneL79: Thank you for your very helpful reply: concrete suggestions like yours are so, so helpful! Your first paragraph was so earnest that the "snow" prediction caught me off guard, and for a fraction of a second I thought we might be so lucky! Thank you again for your kind help and for your sense of humor!

Bethesda, Maryland
Level Contributor
428 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: visas for US passport holders coming in from Cyprus

For only 2 days in Egypt, assuming it's your first visit -- consider Luxor instead of Cairo. No pyramids, but temples and tombs beyond count. One day for the East Bank, one day for the West Bank.

Rochester, Minnesota
Level Contributor
820 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: visas for US passport holders coming in from Cyprus

Hi Robert: Thank you for your suggestion re: Luxor. We have not thought about it, but Luxor does sound fabulous. However, with only 2 days to spare after our meeting (a Friday & a Saturday), will we be able to get from Cyprus to Luxor with enough time left to see? Would we fly Cyprus - Cairo, and then arrange for a transfer from Cairo to Luxor? Will many of the sights still be open to visitors on a Friday? Again, thank you for your very interesting suggestion!

Level Contributor
9,228 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: visas for US passport holders coming in from Cyprus

Given your time limits I would recommend visiting Cairo. I can't imagine moving right on to Luxor which will take time and missing the highlights of Cairo such as the pyramids. I agree Luxor is fascinating; however you will want to go back I am sure and visit many more areas of Egypt.

6. Re: visas for US passport holders coming in from Cyprus

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 August 2010, 05:16