We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Giza or Cairo which area to stay in?

Which Cairo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
153 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
Giza or Cairo which area to stay in?

I will be staying for 3 nights and had intended to stay in Giza but am now wondering if I would be better staying in Cairo. If I stay in Cairo what is the best area. We would want a bit of peace and quiet to rest from hectic and busy Cairo. Area and hotel recommendations would be most appreciated. Getting the right place is more importantthan the cost, so we would be quite prepared tp 'push the boat out' regarding the price range.

Durban, South Africa
Level Contributor
186 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Giza or Cairo which area to stay in?

Hi there,

I stayed in the Zamalek area. While it is in Cairo, it's one of the quieter areas. It was lovely to walk around at night as well. Lots of restaurants and shops, all within walking distance.

I also stayed in Giza which I found to be quite a way out from Cairo especially with the traffic.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cairo, Egypt, Nile River Valley, Luxor
Level Contributor
7,555 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Giza or Cairo which area to stay in?

Hi Basil, you may want to read this traveller article,

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g294201-c85757/Cairo:…

I have stayed in Giza (Mena House) and loved it because of the pyramid views but I don't really like the area around Giza. I prefer to stay in Cairo and usually stay at the Cairo Marriott, fabulous hotel with beautiful grounds/restaurants/pool etc and in Zamalek which is a nice area to walk around, it is expensive though.

In November, I stayed at the Victoria Hotel in Downtown (3* budget hotel - no pool) but I liked it because I could walk around the area and it was within walking distance of two metro stations & only a taxi ride to all of the places I wanted to go.

I have written reviews of both places, check my profile.

Edited: 19 March 2010, 22:13
Philadelphia
Level Contributor
1,322 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Giza or Cairo which area to stay in?

I'm probably in the minority, but I always prefer staying in Giza. I'm an early riser, usually up well before sunrise. I've never gotten tired of watching The Pyramids emerge out of the darkness from my vantage point at Mena House.

Wish I was back there now - this is a great time of year to visit Egypt.

Aust
Level Contributor
135 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Giza or Cairo which area to stay in?

We are going later this year and have booked a hotel in Zamalek because everywhere it is listed as one of the quieter areas. There also appears to be plenty of restaurants to choose from, with varying prices.

From what I can gather you can walk to the museum if you wish as well. So if you have a few hours spare in between things you can go for a stroll.

We are there for 2 lots of 3 days and have chosen the "Longchamps" and the "Sofitel el Gazirah" as two different types of experiences.

Good luck

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
11,932 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Giza or Cairo which area to stay in?

We stayed in the Mena House for our last trip. It was very good. You basically have to stay out there and travel into the centre or vice versa. If you are only staying two or three days then it's six of one and half a dozen of the other.

english expat in...
Level Contributor
176 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Giza or Cairo which area to stay in?

I'd agree it would depend on what you are planning to do whilst there.

Personally I would have preferred to have been at Giza and travelled in to Cairo, but we were moved to the Fairmont, near the airport (Heliopolis) and travelling back and forth to places was murder in the traffic.

I'm not an expert, but I think on a further trip I'd either stay somewhere near the Cairo Museum or at Giza.

Cairo
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Giza or Cairo which area to stay in?

both areas are fine, but if your looking for a more detailed reason why you should stay in each, check out www.cario360.com it will give you each place's review based on location and from there you can decide what you like better

Cheers mate

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
30 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Giza or Cairo which area to stay in?

to avoid starting a new thread i will just post to this topic.

where would you all recommend we stay if our interest is to be close to both sightseeing and nightlife?

what neighborhoods boast most of the nightlife that a westerner might find appealing?

it seems zamalek is widely considered the place to stay?

9. Re: Giza or Cairo which area to stay in?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 September 2010, 05:17