We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

train from Cairo to Alexandria

Which Cairo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Preston. Lancs...
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
train from Cairo to Alexandria

I need to book a train on a Friday for a Saturday departure in three weeks time. August 2010. Can anyone tell me if this will be an easy task. I am not bothered about the turbo train .

Cairo
Level Contributor
272 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: train from Cairo to Alexandria

Heres a thread from the Alexandria Forum concerning the train and booking it.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g295398-i9725-k242…

I can't see it being any problem, we usually get our taxi driver to go and purchase us the tickets the day before we travel, but I'm sure you will be able to purchase them for travel in 3 weeks time.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cairo, Egypt, Nile River Valley, Luxor
Level Contributor
7,501 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: train from Cairo to Alexandria

Just go to Ramses train station by taxi and buy your tickets, someone will point out the right window. You should not have a problem in August. I just buy them on the day and have not had any problems getting them. My worst case scenario was that that there were no tickets left for the early train and we travelled Second class on the next one, it was fine. Make sure you take a jacket as in August the air con was brutal.

Alexandria, Egypt
Level Contributor
881 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: train from Cairo to Alexandria

August is normally very hard to buy tickets between Alex and Cairo, with all the summer Egyptian tourists, especially on Thurdays, Fridays and Saturdays. However Ramadan will be in August this year - so trains should be a lot easier to book as most of the Summer tourists will have returned back to their homes.

Ramadan will be starting round about the 10th or 11th - so trains may be a bit full a few days before that.

If you're not bothered about the Turbini, the next best thing is the Spanish Train, takes only a few minutes longer. The French train tends to go a bit slower and usually takes a good 3 hours at the very least - but will still get you there.

If you are unable to book a ticket due to it being full - you can always just turn up, get on the train and pay and stand (or sit and move seats when necessary) In which case - try and get the turbo or Spanish as the standing time would be shorter.

Preston. Lancs...
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: train from Cairo to Alexandria

Thanks for the information

Preston. Lancs...
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: train from Cairo to Alexandria

Thanks for the information. We can at least buy them the day before we travel from Cairo.

Preston. Lancs...
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: train from Cairo to Alexandria

Thanks for the information. I am looking forward to the journey.

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
223 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: train from Cairo to Alexandria

You can buy it from any Metro station in Cairo, if staying in a hotel, they can arrange booking it for you

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
20 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: train from Cairo to Alexandria

I will be going to Cairo in Oct and will be arriving a week before my tour so that I can go to Alexandria and other cities along the Mediterranean coast. My flight will land around 5pm and I wanted to catch the train to Alex that night. Does anyone know what time Ramses station close? I know the last train to leaves at 21:00 (9pm) so I would assume that they would stay open until then right?

belgium
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: train from Cairo to Alexandria

you can also catch a bus at cairo airport going to Alexandria, this will save you from a taxi fare going downtown and looking for a ticket etc.

just look at

cairo-airport.com/services_transportation.asp

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
20 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: train from Cairo to Alexandria

So you know how long the Superjet ride is from Cairo to Alex?