We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trying to Budget - What do things cost?

Toronto
Level Contributor
237 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Trying to Budget - What do things cost?

Hi there... I'm Canadian, looking at visiting Egypt next spring and am trying to come up with a budget. It's a 10 day trip, a day in Cairo, a few days (all inclusive) in Hurghada, a 4 day Nile cruise, and a few more days back in Cairo at the end of the trip.

I'm not asking anyone to tell me how much spending money to bring for souvineers, etc... (I realize that's completely up to me), but instead I need information on the buying power of the Egypian Pound... i.e. how much are standard things are likely to cost (approx, of course)?

For example... all of our breakfasts would be included, and many of our lunches and dinners as well. But, there are a few that we'd have to buy on our own and I have no idea how much to set aside for that. What's a rough/average price I could expect to pay for lunch somewhere not too touristy (i.e. not in our hotels)? Dinner? Bottles of water? Pop? Snacks? Taxis? Laundry somewhere mid-trip?

Right now I've got a very rough guestimate of 500 Egyptian Pounds for meals/water/snacks/etc... that aren't included, and 2500 Egyptian Pounds for spending money/tips/entrance fees/etc... - Sounds like a lot to me, but since I don't know how much it will actually buy, I really don't know if it's enough or way too much.

I wanted to post this in a general "Egypt" forum but there doesn't seem to be one so I chose Cairo instead... not sure if this will affect prices of things at all in other areas?

Also, does anyone have anything else to add to that list, things they remember having to pay for when they visited that might be helpful for a first time visitor?

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
1,696 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trying to Budget - What do things cost?

I can only advise on last year at the moment; apparently prices have changed somewhat, but I've always stayed at the Ramses Hilton, in Cairo & a decent meal costs considerably less than would be tthe case at a sister hotel, in the UK. In Luxor I tend not to eat in the hotel restaurants, as the Old Winter Palace can be very expensive.

As a guide I normally eat in the Sherlock Hlomes Pub, in the hotel, & a "Hilton Burger", cost approximately LE 60, or about £7.50 Sterling (sorry, but even though I originally come from just outside Toronto I loose track of CDN$ exchange rates). This is a huge saving on what they were charging for a smaller specimen of the same meal, in the UK, over the last week, when I've been away with work.

This is a 5* hotel price so local restaurants will charge a lot less and you can go across to the cafeteria outlet in the "Shopping Annxe" to get the same food at a much lower price.

As for Luxor, I tend to eat in "The King's Head Pub" where a 2 course meal & 3 - 4 Stella lagers come in at about LE 60 - 80 (try to get there for happy hour so your drinks bill is halved).

Shame specifically mention visiting Aswan, except as part of your cruise, as theere are some lovely restaurants that provide some of the best food you will ever eat, with great service, at a fraction of the price you would pay in a hotel (the best fish I have ever eaten was at a little place in the Aswan souk, even though I was staying at The Old Cataract). Even one of the upmarket places will cost you a pittance & provide excellent service, local cuisine & an excellent meal (though the same applies to many of the "hole in the wall restaurants in Egypt).

I'd allow LE 100 per person, including tips, for food with about LE 40 - 100 for drinks.

Sorry if this seems a bit confused but hope it helps you in you r budget calculations.

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
72 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trying to Budget - What do things cost?

Hi littleengine!

In Cairo in the street,a small bottle(5dl) of water is around 1,5-2,0 LE.

Large bottle(1,5 l) 2,50-4,0 LE.

In restaurants they can charge you 10 LE or even more for a large bottle.

Cola,fanta, pepsi are 2.10 -3,0 LE for a small can (33cl),in the street shops,don`t know about restaurants.

Taxis-in the old black/white ones I simply pay 1LE per minute,I never haggle,so after a 20 minute ride,step out of the car and hand the driver 20LE through the window.

Taxis-the new white ones have meters and they will also cost around 1LE per minute.The meter should be set on 2.50LE as you start the ride,unless the meter is "broken".In that case, keep an eye on your watch and pay the driver as with the old taxis.

You can get this laundry done for around20 LE.

Don´t know what the hotels charge,this is at laundry shops in the street.

2 pairs of cotton slacks or bermudas

2shirts

2tshirts

underwear

socks,

make sure to ask for the price as you hand the laundry over,to avoid beeing overcharged when you come to collect it.

Dinners and snacks GParry Manchester covered quite well

Stella

Edited: 12 August 2010, 11:01
Plymouth, PA
Level Contributor
826 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trying to Budget - What do things cost?

Let's Keep This Going...

How about A...

Bottle Of Beer - Stella Or Sarkara(sp)

6 Pack Of Stella or Sarkara(sp)

Pack Of Cigarettes - Marlboro or Camel Filters

Shisha - One Session w/Tip

Mint Tea - Sidewalk Cafe In Khan - Say Fishwaya(sp)

Koshery Meal

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
72 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trying to Budget - What do things cost?

Yes,TedG,let`s!

Stella 50cl bottle or can is 6.50 LE in the Drinkies shop and Sakkara 7.0LE.

In restaurants you pay 9-25LE or even more depending on the kind of restaurant.

6pack is just 6x6.50 at Drinkies.

Btw! Drinkies shops are closed during Ramadan,but you can order home delivery.

Marlboros are 10 LE prices went up first of july with 2LE a pack.

Other kinds like LM are 7 LE.Camels are hard to find(can you imagine,in this country!)but cost as Marlboros 10 LE.

Shisha should cost round 4 LE,but can also cost you 10LE at some places,just as tea or "turkish coffe"

Don`t know about koshary,sorry.

Stella.

Plymouth, PA
Level Contributor
826 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trying to Budget - What do things cost?

Thank You Stella!

Stella 50cl bottle or can is 6.50 LE in the Drinkies shop and Sakkara 7.0LE.

That just $1USD!

In restaurants you pay 9-25LE or even more depending on the kind of restaurant.

6pack is just 6x6.50 at Drinkies.

That's about $7USD - That' no bargain...

Btw! Drinkies shops are closed during Ramadan,but you can order home delivery.

Marlboros are 10 LE prices went up first of july with 2LE a pack.

That about $1.77USD - That's a Deal!

Other kinds like LM are 7 LE.Camels are hard to find(can you imagine,in this country!)but cost as Marlboros 10 LE.

7LE is about $1.25 USD...

Shisha should cost round 4 LE,but can also cost you 10LE at some places,just as tea or "turkish coffe"

That's about 70 US cents - Do you tip the server?

Don`t know about koshary,sorry.

Thank You again Stella - We are planning for early January 2011!

Ted G

Toronto
Level Contributor
237 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trying to Budget - What do things cost?

Wow, this is great info, very helpful. Yes, please... by all means, add more and keep the list growing. :-)

Now... about the haggling... We don't do much of that here in Canada and I never really got the hang of it while in Central America. I'm afraid I'll have no idea if the amount I finally end up on is too much or not. Are there any items you can think of where it's easy to say in advance you shouldn't pay more than xx Egyptian Pounds for them?

UK
Level Contributor
2,865 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trying to Budget - What do things cost?

From our experience of haggling in Cairo last May I suggest you only ask a price of something that interests you and are prepared to haggle for - then I suggest you offer half what is suggested but a quarter if you are less keen. Expect the haggling process to go on for some time if you are really interested in the item. My husband and I do a circuit together and agree between us what we are interested in - he then returns later to make the first offer and after a while I join him and show surprise at the high price he has offered and suggest we walk away. If the seller is keen to sell at the much reduced price he negotiates. Naturally if the original price is in our opinion a bargain we haggle less hard but so much in the markets it what we call tat. One of our best buys was an alabaster vase bought in our hotel shop with no haggling involved.

8. Re: Trying to Budget - What do things cost?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 February 2011, 05:18