We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which restaurants closed now for Ramadan?

USA
Level Contributor
144 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Which restaurants closed now for Ramadan?

Hi,

Leaving for Cairo very soon... I just read on another site that Abou Tarek is closed for all of Ramadan. Is this true? Can anyone who is currently in Cairo comment on how many restaurants are and are not open during the holiday? Will super touristy places like the Hard Rock Cafe and McDonald's be open? What about typical privately owned restaurants? I really wanted to try koshary :( Anywhere else I can get it in the daytime during the holiday? Thanks.

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
72 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which restaurants closed now for Ramadan?

I`m sure you will find koshary easily.

In general,restaurants that don`t serve alcohol are open during Ramadan,allthough some might not open until sunset.

HardRock I think belongs to one of the International hotels,so they will be open.

As will all the foreign fast food chains.

Restaurants serving alcohol(but not belonging to international hotel) is a different matter.

Some are open but without alcohol during Ramadan.(ex.Excelsior DownTown,Seqoia Zamalek)

Some are closed alltogether.(ex.Estoril DownTown,Five Bells and Deals Pub,Zamalek)

Some don`t open until 18.30.and will not serve alcohol to muslims.(ex.Pub28Zamalek)

And at some places like the BodegaZamalek you have to show your passport to prove you`re not a muslim,to get in.

Hotel restaurants,business as usual.

Stella.

Edited: 18 August 2010, 08:41
USA
Level Contributor
144 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which restaurants closed now for Ramadan?

Thanks for the reply.... I am actually just interested in food options during daylight. My husband and I do not drink alcohol at all and we are completely not concerned with finding or drinking liquor. But we do like to try new foods!

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
72 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which restaurants closed now for Ramadan?

I am sorry,I really didn`t mean to imply in any way that You and Your husband were out to get alcohol.

I just tried to answer Your question as well as I could.

You asked how many restaurants are and are not open during Ramadan,and I tried to point out all the different openinghours,in this muslim country.

I am sorry if I have offended You in any way, but during Ramadan 90%of the population do not eat or drink anything during the day,so many egyptian restaurants are closed.Some open after sunset though.

Restaurants that serve alcohol have different kinds of opening hours,that vary a lot,which I tried to point out,but You can be sure they all serve water and soft drinks.

And talking about soft drinks,don`t miss the mango juice!

Mmmmmmmm!

Stella.

4. Re: Which restaurants closed now for Ramadan?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 February 2011, 06:56
Get answers to your questions about Cairo