We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

White Desert Tour Recommendation

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
81 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
White Desert Tour Recommendation

Me and my another girl friend will be travelling to Egypt in coming December and we are planning to do the White Desert Camp tour.

We are thinking to do the 3days 2 nights camping tour with camel ride but we are both girls, after read a lot of reviews from the websites, we believe that we should go in the desert with really trustable tour guides as there might be some uncertain situations in the natural places.

Also, both of us are still students so we have a tighter budget, would anyone of u have some good recommendations for the white desert tour?

Or do you know any forum that we can ask and see any other travellers are going at the same time so we can do the tour together and get a cheaper quote for group? We are planning to do the tour on 21st Dec to 23rd Dec 2010.

Many many thanks

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
61 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: White Desert Tour Recommendation

I booked a tour with international hot spring hotel, which is own and managed by a German named Peter. My trip is in October so I haven't actually gone. I have done a lot of research and comparison. Peter seems to provide a good quality tour at a reasonable(not the lowest) price. We are two girls too; I think we decide to go with Peter b/c of the good reputation, in guide book and forum. you can pm me I can give all the links including other tour companies that offers white desert camp. I can also let you know how our trip go,after 10/25 when we get back from Egypt.

Have fun planning

Amy

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
81 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: White Desert Tour Recommendation

Hello Amy

Ya i heard about Peter too but i think their packages charge higher price from others....that's the problem cos me n my friends are still students so we have a tight budget...

Would be great if you send me some other agencies info that u have got? Yeah i would like to share your experience after your trip too....

Regards

Loi

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
61 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: White Desert Tour Recommendation

Hi Loi,

I understand your budget limit. Here are some links. Have you consider taking a bus to get there? I also send you the link for bus schedule Hope that helps

My package with Peter including one night of hotel and one night of camping was reasonable. you should email him and find out the cost, might be different from the web.

http://www.badawiya.com/jeep.htm

www.desertadventuresegypt.com/page.php…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294201-i9404-k361…

ask-aladdin.com/…Cairo_to_the_Oasis_

cheeres

Amy

England
Level Contributor
211 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: White Desert Tour Recommendation

Hi Loi

Google hostels bahariya or budget hotels bahariya and see what you can find there. Some of the hotels do their own tours so that should keep your price down a bit, you could do one night camping and one night in a hotel / hostel

YS

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
81 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: White Desert Tour Recommendation

Hello Amy and YS,

Thank you for the information. I am looking on them now and have contact them for the price and further information.

Between, I have got a cheapest quote from SELECT EGYPT, do you or ur friends have any idea about this agency?

Many thanks

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
61 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: White Desert Tour Recommendation

Hi! Loi,

I don't know much about select egypt tour. You can search their name in forum for more info. BTW, what was their quote and what is included,if you don't mind sharing. Just send me a personal message if you want. Thank you

Amy

London, Canada
Level Contributor
292 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: White Desert Tour Recommendation

I am a single parent (mom) traveller who just spent a month backpacking though the Middle East with my 9 year old daughter. We too are budget travellers, and I HAD to experience this desert after loving Wadi Rum (Saudi Arabian Desert in Jordan). I understand your hesitation being gorls on your own...i had the same concerns with it being only my daughter and I.

However, I booked through Minamar, and I have never felt more safe or cared for. They were professional, cooked wonderful food over the fire deep in the White Desert, and stopped each and every place in the Black and White desert that we wanted to stop and look around. The driver was very good, and the guide was as well. Both made our time great. they brought more than enough food, snacks, fruit, water, etc. I am hoping to be able to get back to that desert one day (as well as Siwa).

If you want more info or to see some pictures of out time, send me a note. if not, here is their website. they do the one night or 2-3 night stays in different parts of the desert.

www.minamar.com

I paid $300 USD (not each, but for both of us) for private car pick up in Cairo to Baharya, then we transferred to our 4x4 for the desert excursion. The same driver stayed in a hotel and was ready for us the next afternoon when we arrived back from the desert. All in all it was about 39 hours from when we left Cairo to when we returned to Cairo. Keep in mind that it is a 5-6 hour drive from Cairo depending on the traffic getting out of Cairo which can be heavy.

Again, the money covered EVERYTHING (except the tip which in my opinion was well deserved). Feel free to let me know if you want me to email you some pictures!!

have fun!! This might be slightly outside your budget, but is SO worth it! It was our splurge for the trip!!

Edited: 25 August 2010, 04:25
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
81 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: White Desert Tour Recommendation

Thank you so much for all the recommendations. It helps alot.

I am looking for another solo traveller or couples who like to make the tour at the same time so we can get a better deal.

Will share my experience after that!

Thanks

London, Canada
Level Contributor
292 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: White Desert Tour Recommendation

Keep in mind that the 4x4's that take you into the desert will not hold more than 3 people in the backseat. The tours and groups that I saw travelled in a convoy/caravan or 4 x 4's as a result. I think that because it is such a remote excursion, you are going to be hard pressed to get much more than $150 per person for a 24 hour excursion. Really, when you think about it, it would be like staying in a hotel with transfers, food, a tour guide, a safe driver, and not having to think about anything other than having fun...in an off the beaten path, remote place. A lot for very little in the grand scheme of things. For us, adding 10 hours travelling to and from Cairo in a private, air conditioned car was a bonus at that price.

I do understand budgets though. I am a real budget traveller so that we can splurge every now and then on excursions like The White Desert. for example, we paid $13.00 USD for a room (not per person) for a couple of nights in Luxor before we came to Cairo just so we could spend a little more on the desert trip. Couple that with cooking our own food, and using public transport for the month travelling saved a whole heap for an extra. You'll figure it out..and when you do..have a great time!!

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cairo, Egypt, Nile River Valley, Luxor
Level Contributor
10,157 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: White Desert Tour Recommendation

Coraclara, I am researching my trip to the desert and Siwa for next October. I have come across Minimar in my research and have contacted them, so far have had very good responses to my emails, they are the cheapest quote, I will be travelling alone which is expensve as you know, so am swaying their way. Would really love a review of places you stayed and their services, PM me if you dont wish to write here:)