We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

November 29, 2010 Elections

Which Cairo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
8 posts
Save Topic
November 29, 2010 Elections

I found a good deal on a trip to Cairo and Luxor for the week before the elections (concluding on the Friday before the elections). Should I be concerned about political violence or an increased risk of terrorism due to the election? My guess is no but I have never travelled to this country and do not have much knowledge about it. Thanks.

Berlin, Germany
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: November 29, 2010 Elections

Hallo,

the touristic destinations should be safe, but take a look at the following links, to see what happend in Damietta at the time of the parliamentary elections in 2005.

www.youtube.com/watch…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g59_BzmbLn4

Greetings from Germany

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,251 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: November 29, 2010 Elections

Don't worry, you will be fine. When violence breaks out it happens in rural towns and always involves only those related to the voting process (candidates, their suppertors, families and the security). In rural towns, elections are not just about politics. They are about social status, economic interests and tribal pride. In the big cities, it is a different story. Because elections are rigged and people are more educated and less concerned with the issues I listed above, they simply choose not to vote. You will hardly feel anything is happening on elections day apart from panners and posters. Otherwise, locals don't give a toss!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,251 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: November 29, 2010 Elections

banners.. I mean

4. Re: November 29, 2010 Elections

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 April 2011, 07:16