We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sound and Light show at the Sphinx

Which Cairo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Fremont, California
Level Contributor
7 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Sound and Light show at the Sphinx

Hi,

We plan to do the Sound and Light show at the Sphinx, on our own, without the using any tour operators. We will be staying at the Grand Pyramid hotel in Giza. Here are my questions :

- How much is a cab ride from the hotel to the ticket booth ? We want to make sure we dont overpay.

- How soon do we need to get there to buy the ticket for the 6:30pm show on Saturday ? Is the show usually sold out ?

- Do we need to bargain with the ticket price at the booth ?

Thanks for your help !

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
10 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sound and Light show at the Sphinx

Hey there,

I live here so can tell you what I know. I unfortunately don't know the hotel very well or where it is, but if it is in Giza then it should not be much at all, anything from 10 to 30 Egyptian pounds. As a rough guide for a short trip, try to think of 1LE per minute...It's a rough guide though, a ten minute trip wouldn't be too pricey if you pay 15 or 20LE.

The show shouldn't sell out, being there half an hour before should be plenty of time. I recommend leaving your hotel and hour before just to be on the safe side. Sunset is at around 5 - 5.30, so if you get there early you can see the sunset behind the pyramids :) Awesome sight!

The ticket prices are fixed for the show - they are either 60 or 75 LE, can't quite remember which.

Sorry for the hazy information, could make a couple of phone calls tomorrow to double check if you'd like definite answers. Send me a message if so :)

Chris

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for County Galway
Level Contributor
1,982 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sound and Light show at the Sphinx

We missed our tour group's optional visit recently (actually last week) as we wanted to eat early that night and so made enquiries at the kiosk itself when we were visiting the Sphinx and pyramids during the daytime - the guy at the kiosk said that arrival at 18:00 would practically guarantee entry for the 18:30 english show, the tickets were LE75 on the door (considerably less than the UK£22 our tour colleagues paid!) and to sit on the right hand side as you enter to get the best view. We enquired to concierge about a taxi from our hotel (the Mena House which is VERY near to the Great Pyramid but around 'the other side' from the Sound and Light entrance) and were told it would be LE10 each way using the hotel recommended taxi which seemed to be a bargain no matter how far it was and wasn't, in our opinion, worth haggling over. You may, however, need to haggle for the taxi fare from your hotel as we're unsure of it's exact location but you will definitely not need to bargain for the ticket price from the kiosk as it is all fixed price tickets just like at the other sites...

In the end we opted out of going as our tour colleagues were all very down on the presentation and having already seen two Sound and Light shows (Philae and Abu Simbel) we realised that we weren't really that fussed about seeing another when the lovely hotel spa steam room and sauna suite and a second meal at the divine Moghul Room restaurant was beckoning for our fourth and final night ;-)

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
75 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sound and Light show at the Sphinx

Chris..I keep getting conflicting information about taking taxis in Cairo. Do we pay with US dollars or with Egyptian money? Can we exchange money at the major hotels? (We are staying at the Cairo Marriott) Also, people say you can book the sound and light show through your hotels..do all hotels do this? I cannot find an email for the Cairo Marriott to see if they do this.

We can't wait for our trip!!

Thank you, Sherry

4. Re: Sound and Light show at the Sphinx

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 May 2011, 06:23