We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Local delicacies

Sauk Centre...
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Topic
Local delicacies

What is your favorite local food? The more unconventional the better. A good example is the pigeon dinner I enjoyed at Kahn Khalili. Let me know if an iron stomach is required.

Thanks

melbourne
Level Contributor
131 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Local delicacies

Yes well, 6 in our group pre ordered camel at the restaurant we were going to that night, apparently one has to order this "delight" early in the day.

Most likely because they have to kill the camel first, and our guide informed us that the camel takes a long time to die - when they cut it's throat the process is difficult because the camel has such a strong neck.

Didn't go to dinner with the group, but heard that the meat was bland - makes no sense to me why they wanted to eat camel.

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,292 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Local delicacies

I believe camel is usually in the form of meatballs.

Pigeon is hardly unconventional. They even eat it in the US where they call it squab.

I like fish tagine, om ali and okra (separately) but again they are hardly unconventional.

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
1,858 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Local delicacies

Fried sheep's tongue, sampled in a litttle Cairene restauraunt years ago. Tasted great.

England, United...
Level Contributor
5,742 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Local delicacies

I can't say I've come across any food on an Egyptian menu that was 'unconventional'. I have had the odd thing in peoples homes but even then nothing so unconventional. I think 'Mish' (hope I've got the right word) is probably the most disgusting - a creamy/pinkish coloured dippy thing that can only be described as tasting of fishy sweaty sock strong cheese flavour.

I have eaten camel but not in Egypt. I've eaten it in another N. African country and also further south. Both times it was perfectly edible but not particularly memorable.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
1,324 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Local delicacies

Om Ali is a cooked rice dessert - very good.

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Local delicacies

+1 for Om Ali! :) Best I had (and I tried it throughout Egypt) was in Alexandria.

And here's a discussion we had here a year ago that you might care to read - lots of good staff mentioned there tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g297555-i9225-k327…

7. Re: Local delicacies

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 June 2011, 05:18