We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware of the 50 pound ripoff in Egypt

Chicago
Level Contributor
8,045 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Beware of the 50 pound ripoff in Egypt

One tricky thing that happened to a group of us is that we were buying things on the street in Aswan. And my friend gave a 50 pound note and it was kind of chaotic but the vendor gave back the note and said this is a 50 cent (half pound) note and it wasn't enough to buy what we wanted. Both the bills have a giant 50 on it so unless you were paying close attention, the vendor either is right, or he switched it on you and when you gave your 50 pound note, he did the old switcheroo and said you gave him the half pound that also has a 50. Pay attention as there is a big difference between 50 pounds and a half pound. Like $50 dollars or 50 cents! And my friend couldn't be sure what was given, but thinks he was ripped off.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
Level Contributor
5,838 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beware of the 50 pound ripoff in Egypt

Sadly, this is a regular ripoff in Egypt - sorry to learn that your friend was caught by it.Other travellers: be warned!

2. Re: Beware of the 50 pound ripoff in Egypt

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 23 March 2011, 13:56
Cairo
Level Contributor
272 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beware of the 50 pound ripoff in Egypt

It will be more than likely be a con, there is quite a bit of difference between 50 piastres and 50 pounds.

50 pound note is about a inch longer and red-brown colour. 50 piastres green and usually pretty worn as they are being replaced by coins.

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
95 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beware of the 50 pound ripoff in Egypt

I hold the note out and wait for an agreement that this is the cost, also beware of the 15 lb and 50 lb scam by taxi driver and vendors, so say 15lb

they say yes and then they say no its 50 lbs, its difficult when you are at the end of the cab ride, we try to take white cabs with meters only, making sure the meter works and is started at 2.5lbs, somtimes they will try and leave it

at the last customers fare and add your on top.

Cairo
Level Contributor
272 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beware of the 50 pound ripoff in Egypt

The other thing to watch out for is notes that have been taped together, got caught a few months back, very neatly taped together 50 pound note, slipped in my change, went to use it later and they won't accept it as it had to different serial numbers!!

So don't accept any notes with tape on.

Chicago
Level Contributor
8,045 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beware of the 50 pound ripoff in Egypt

Cowboy, I had a taped bill but passed it on as baksheesh. Gotta love baksheesh!

Cairo
Level Contributor
272 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beware of the 50 pound ripoff in Egypt

My taxi driver, took my taped bill, he said don't worry, I'll exchange it. He probably past it on to some unsuspecting tourist ...... so be careful.

Edited: 13 December 2010, 22:51
Chicago
Level Contributor
8,045 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beware of the 50 pound ripoff in Egypt

And that tourist gave it as baksheesh to another taxi driver...so the story goes....lol....

Niagara Falls...
Level Contributor
515 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beware of the 50 pound ripoff in Egypt

I also had almost been scammed. We were in Aswan eating dinner on one of the floating boat restaurants. We went to the till to pay our bill with cash in the bill holder & the waiter actually let some of the coins drop out under the stairs & then he gave us the incorrect change claiming we did'nt leave the amount we claimed we did. Thankfully my fiance had been watching the hand over of money & said I saw you drop the change on the stairs, the guy then knew he got busted & gave us the correct change back.

Alexandria, Egypt
Level Contributor
792 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beware of the 50 pound ripoff in Egypt

well same case happened to em while i was in turkey , i gave the taxi driver 50 lira he said it was 5 lira , in fcat the matter of 50 piastre and 50 pound has big differentr in term of colkours and paper shape and in fact 50 piasters now are in coins , very rarely u find it in paper , anyway that happen in everywhere people who cheat tourist , not a big deal , u can not in heaven but it is earth