We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Credit Card Security Pin Number???

Which Cairo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
66 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Credit Card Security Pin Number???

Is it becoming "normal practice" when booking hotels in Egypt directly on the hotel's own website to be asked to send your C/Card 3 pin security pin number separately to them via an email?

I have just booked three other hotels in Egypt directly through their hotel website and not been asked for my security pin number to secure my reservation. Only this one small, family run hotel, in Cairo will not secure my booking unless I email my pin number.

I phoned my C/Card company who advised me not to send my Pin Number via email. They said the hotel has all my other C/Card details, name, number, expiry date etc, this is ALL they need to debit my card for accommodation, should I cancel late or not show up at all. I have given my security number many times when purchasing goods on the internet, but it has always been on secure sites such as "Pay Pal" etc.

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
1,614 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Credit Card Security Pin Number???

Are you sure that what they're asking for isn't the issue number or the security code?

The former is only used with Maestro cards, whilst the latter relates to Visa/Delta cards and constitutes the last 3 digits of the 7 digit number that is superimposed on the signature strip (on the back of the card).

If this is what they are asking for; payment pages of hotel chain websites normally have a pop-up help box to assist you in identifying what they're after, then it is a fairly standard requirement of online card transactions.

Otherwise, go with the instructions from your bank and don't supply the PIN number.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
66 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Credit Card Security Pin Number???

Thank You GParry. It is a visa card. What they require is: The last three digits of the security number on the back of the card. They have no provision on their secure on line booking page to list this number along side the three main items every one asks for being: Name on Card, Number of card, exp Date etc. It just seemed strange to be asked at a later date, to send it via email.

My husband and I spent six weeks in Egypt traveling independently in 2007, staying in all types of accommodation from 5 star hotels to backpackers, but were never asked for the credit card security number, I guess this is a new policy for booking hotels in Egypt.

I have just booked five hotels in Italy, as part of our trip, none of them asked for it either. I guess at the end of the day "I am just being over cautious".

Vancouver
Level Contributor
9 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Credit Card Security Pin Number???

Hi Speckle - never give your CVV number out (3 digits on the back) to someone that is not via a secured site (hence not encrypted). Credit Card companies confirm physical possession of a card with that number and a third party having that in their possession would create high risk of fraud plus make it possible for your chargeback rights on unauthorized purchases to be compromised. They most certainly can do a pre-authorization for deposit or test a valid card number with #, name, & expiry. If they insist I'd question their motives.

canada
Level Contributor
212 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Credit Card Security Pin Number???

I agree with Canmex23. Email isn't a secure way to send that information. That said the email would only contain the 3 digit number and not the card # that goes with it. I know many times when making a reservation or buying something online they ask for that number. I'd be torn with what to do too. If the credit card company said don't do it I probably wouldn't. Just because if something happened and your card was used in an unauthorized way you've protected yourself and done as advised by the credit card company. I'm sure any business will understand you don't want to do something you've specifically been advised not to by your credit card company.

Cairo
Level Contributor
272 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Credit Card Security Pin Number???

Don't send your security code. Book another hotel.

Only ever use it when making an online transaction on a secure page.

When you enter the code on a secure page it goes directly to the bank, along with the transaction and the merchant details. It's a extra layer of protection to show that the card is in your pocession and haven't stolen the number.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
66 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Credit Card Security Pin Number???

Thank-You every one for your "Sound Advice" I understand fully the implications of giving the security number to anyone. The hotel in question has a very good reputation on Trip Advisor [dozens of very favorable reviews]. I have PM'd a few former guests, to see if they emailed their C/card security numbers in order to confirm bookings. All of them said they did, and to date have encountered no problems re; Fraudulent Use. I am going to telephone the hotel owner and see if this matter can be resolved.

Level Contributor
7,834 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Credit Card Security Pin Number???

I don't know if this was you or someone else but I believe the hotel was Longchamps and they are totally reliable. I would call or fax the number just not email.

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
1,728 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Credit Card Security Pin Number???

Don't give your CVV 3 digits number to anyone. Not even to St. Peter himself. Would you send your safebox code or your house keys to someone you don't know? What if the code ends up in the wrong hands?

If you want to pay by ceridt card, use online payment sites that are Verified by credit card companies. Major hotels have secure payment on-line systems.

If a business asks for the CVV code to be sent to them by mail, fax etc, that's considered illegal and against the rules of credit card companies. That business can easily lose it's credit card license.

DON'T EVER SEND YOUR CREDIT CARD DETAILS AND SECURE CODES TO ANYONE!

CHEERS!

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor, Nile River Valley, Egypt
Level Contributor
9,067 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Credit Card Security Pin Number???

I have to agree with Mofissio

Giving your security digits to a secure web-site - OK

Giving your security digits ANY OTHER WAY - NOT OK!!

I have been asked before - The answer was - "sorry - I DON'T do that" and I didn't buy the object under discussion.

Williamsburg...
Level Contributor
460 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Credit Card Security Pin Number???

The 3 digit CVV number on the back of your card is NOT the same as your PIN number, which, if you have one, is generally a 4-digit number which does not appear on the card.

I have found in doing business over the Internet that I am often asked for my security code. I have given it to the company I am dealing with if they ask for and have never had any problems as a result of doing so. I give it both orally over the phone and over the internet back to a secure site.

From Wikipedia (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Card_security_code):

"The second code, and the most cited, is CVV2 or CVC2. This CSC (also known as a CCID or Credit Card ID) is often asked for by merchants for them to secure card not present transactions occurring over the Internet, by mail, fax or over the phone. In many countries in Western Europe, due to increased attempts at card fraud, it is now mandatory to provide this code when the cardholder is not present in person."

Edited: 25 January 2011, 15:13