We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No telecommunications? That's bad!

Swansea, MA
Level Contributor
336 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
No telecommunications? That's bad!

I am supposed to leave for Cairo tonight. Telecommunications have been cut off by the government. I won't go if that is the case. Does anyone have information?

England, United...
Level Contributor
5,732 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: No telecommunications? That's bad!

Figlet, are you just flying into Cairo and then onwards or were you planning on staying in Cairo?

I think if you were just to be transfering onto another location you shouldn't have any problem. If you are planning on staying in Cairo, things may be more difficult, and that would also be partly location dependant. - traffic detours/delays etc.

Newsmen seem to be doing their best to get news out - there are a few sattalight connections still in use - but it's not easy for them. I posted the following earlier, and have been trying to keep an eye on the situation since then. I think it may be the only way to get any real information at the moment, (although I cannot be absolutely sure about that.)

For anyone really wanting to keep up to date with todays events in Cairo and the rest of Egypt I would suggest looking at Sky News. I've only just caught the tail end of the last bulletin but it would seem that it's reporting is fairly clear and informative, also showing maps with key locations in Cairo where the Protests are taking place at the moment and general information on other regions. No doubt the story will be running throughout the day as the situation developes.

As I see it, unless individuals have first hand accounts this would be the best way to get a realistic, informed picture of what is happening and likely to happen in the near future.

Swansea, MA
Level Contributor
336 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: No telecommunications? That's bad!

I will be staying at hotel Longchamps on Sat and Sun night then going for an overnight to the white desert before flying out of Cairo to Aswan. Can't see going on the vacation with no telecommunications. I am due to leave for the airport in 6 hours!

England, United...
Level Contributor
5,732 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: No telecommunications? That's bad!

You need to check out what your Government is saying about travel to Egypt at the moment. Also, use their 'Locate' or 'Registration' system for travel abroad.

I have been cought in a coup situation many years ago, before mobile phones and the internet, when even land lines were blocked - this present situaton just shows how much we've come to rely on instant communication and how lost we are without it. Your concerns, nevertheless are natural and realistic.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor
Level Contributor
4,058 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: No telecommunications? That's bad!

Please read the main topic here

tripadvisor.co.uk/…30902834

Also keep checking the UK FCO advice via this link

fco.gov.uk/en/…egypt

London, United...
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: No telecommunications? That's bad!

I wouldn't stay in the Longchamps . That is in Zamalik. Far too close to downtown and Tahrir. Actually earlier today 10000 protester marched through there (with the police throwing tear gas at them) to get to Tahrir square. The area is full of embassies as well. It will be totally full of police and some streets and main access points may even be cordoned off.

If you must stay... Stay in the Novotel close to the airport....or near the pyramids. Mena House if you have the money.

Edited: 28 January 2011, 14:05
6. Re: No telecommunications? That's bad!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 28 January 2011, 14:17
Edited: 28 January 2011, 14:17
Swansea, MA
Level Contributor
336 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: No telecommunications? That's bad!

Thanks for the responses. I cancelled the trip. The flight was today and I had to make a decision. Too uncertain...increasingly violent. I can't wait to reschedule in the future. I am sooooooo disappointed!!

Level Contributor
8,555 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: No telecommunications? That's bad!

Figlet so sorry this happened to you but you are extremely wise to cancel...it just would not be fun at all and the Longchamps is very close to the center but it seems like things are just getting worse. You will go one day hopefully when you can totally enjoy it. For me its not the government's decision it is yours...for others who might be in the same situation were the hotel and airlines understanding in terms of fees to cancel?

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
27,996 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: No telecommunications? That's bad!

Hi figlet, well done. It must have been really hard to do but I you are totally right not to go at the moment

you want to be able to see amazing things in Egypt and enjoy the experience, which you will

10. Re: No telecommunications? That's bad!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 30 January 2011, 20:06