We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has anyone sctually seen refunds posted yet?

Which Cairo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Millersville...
Level Contributor
30 posts
211 reviews
Save Topic
Has anyone sctually seen refunds posted yet?

It has been over a week since our cancellations. Trafalgar cancelled us and the full refund was posted to my cc Monday. Nothing yet from EgyptAir. Anyone seen $$ from EgyptAir yet?

Edited: 09 February 2011, 19:53
Level Contributor
66 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Has anyone sctually seen refunds posted yet?

We have just elected for full refund today, so I have not seen any money yet. I would imagine it would take some time. I would imagine 6-8 weeks or so. This is my estimation. Not Gate 1s!

To anybody in future/similar situations: This is part of the reason, I just chose to 'gamble' with a bit of my savings and just book another tour out right, not wait on cancellations and checks from the companies to make new travel plans-as I think this would be nerve racking in even the best of situations. While waiting on refunds to show up in accounts- all other trips are steadily filling up, airline prices are getting higher, you need more and more money just to reserve a seat, etc.

I guess there is always a chance in the world of last minute travel deals, priceline, orbitz etc, that Booking an alternate trip at the last minute may also save you money in the end. But it is hard to do if you dont have a flexible schedule, like in my situation.

Plan b, is well under way. So I will just wait while Gate 1 does all the legwork in getting a check cut from EgyptAir. I am sure the quickness will have something to do with how their financial model is constructed. If they dont keep a lot of cash available, in times like these ( mass cancellations and refunds paired with no income from flights on their biggest money maker), I am sure it will be difficult to say the least. But hey that is business...;)

I will keep you posted about times money/checks actually show up. But in all honesty, I wouldnt be surprised if it took anywhere from 6 to as long as 12 weeks for it to materialize. It takes that long for refunds on large ticket items in the U.S (, ie if I returned a dishwasher to a manufacturer or something.)

Hope this helps!

Toronto
Level Contributor
237 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Has anyone sctually seen refunds posted yet?

Hi Tarheelsbred... When was your Gate 1 trip scheduled for? Mine is at the end of April and we haven't heard anything yet... currently trying to figure out what we should do, pre-emptively cancel and switch to another trip (but incur an airline re-booking fee of $250) or wait until Gate 1 cancels and get probably only a partial refund because they would have already paid some of their suppliers and would likely not get it all back from them. Between a rock and a hard place. :-(

Lansing, Michigan
Level Contributor
8 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Has anyone sctually seen refunds posted yet?

Both Hilton and dhr.com (Discount Hotel Reservations) posted a full refund to my credit card yesterday, one day after our trip was canceled. Nothing from Alitalia yet.

Brooklyn, NY
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Has anyone sctually seen refunds posted yet?

Delta refunded our money yesterday for our cancelled March flight. It took some time and energy to convince them to refund instead of issuing us a voucher, but they finally did it, crediting our credit card.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,977 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Has anyone sctually seen refunds posted yet?

Hope that you all get your refunds, so that now you can rebook.

Egypt is such an interesting country.

NE UK
Level Contributor
609 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Has anyone sctually seen refunds posted yet?

Just a simple phone call to British Airways, and I was refunded in a few days. I am still in the process of claiming hotel costs from my credit card company. On their website, Egyptair says 'up to' 21 days, and there is a refund fee. Hopefully not too bad for me, but I think some tour companies are coming out of this with a tarnished reputation. It seems that those who made their own arrangements are coming out of this better. Lack of information seems to be a regular complaint.

Level Contributor
66 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Has anyone sctually seen refunds posted yet?

Just wanted to post an update to benefit anyone in the future.

Just recieved my check for the full amount of my Gate 1 trip, yesterday February 24th.- So after electing for the' full refund option of a cancelled trip' -it took about two weeks to get my money back in hand. I never called to hassle or follow up or do anything to speed up the process. Just sat and waited for my check would arrive. Probably would have arrived sooner if I had paid with credit card. Not too bad if you ask me!

Definitely, Definitely will book with them again.

Canada
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Has anyone sctually seen refunds posted yet?

Cancelled with Egypt Air, its been two weeks, still waiting for the refund. How long have you been waiting?

Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
305 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Has anyone sctually seen refunds posted yet?

Gate 1 sent me a check for our canceled tour of March 17 in 11 days. Handled things very professionally.

Lufthansa will only offer to rebook with them without ticket changing charge

Before June 30th.

Millersville...
Level Contributor
30 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Has anyone sctually seen refunds posted yet?

Refund requested by phone on Feb 1 and online follow up request about 10 days later. Stil nothing.

I thought this was put on the credit card. No, used the debit so now we wait.

FYI - Trafalgar was fantastic. They cancelled and had the refund credited back within a week.