We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where do the locals shop?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,689 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Where do the locals shop?

On my travels to Cairo I have shopped at the Khan El Khalili markets for souveneirs etc. and I have all the souveneirs I could possibly want now. :)

Can anyone tell me what areas the locals go to do everyday shopping?. Like buying clothes shoes etc.. (not City Stars) Baby goods, sheets etc?

Thankyou :)

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,251 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Where do the locals shop?

It depends on what you mean by local..

Egypt is well divided along economic class lines.

So, the upper class do shop at City Stars and Spennies supermarket located there and some other selected posh shops that sell luxury goods. They could also use big supermarkets like Metro and Carefour for their food shopping.

Middle class would shop at a selection of the following:

Local supermarket chains like Metro or the cheaper Khair Zaman and Awlad Ragab.

Neighborhood grocery markets that sell fruit, vegetables, meat, fish and other basics. You will find these scattered around local neighborhoods.

And for cloths and other durable goods, they will head mainly to downtown or to other shopping areas in Heliopolis or Mohandiseen and other middle class areas.

Finally, lower classes will depend on local grocery markets as well, but for durable goods, they will head to cheaper districts like Ataba, which is not far from the Islamic district, but outside the tourist area.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
376 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where do the locals shop?

Darsh, I'll be heading over in August, are there many decent fresh food type markets in the Zamalek area?

We will be staying at the Safir suites (about to become Hilton) Residence.

(this is well out of our usual price range for hotels but I work for Hilton and get ridiculously cheap staff rate).

we'll have 4 vegetarians, 3 vegans and the rest eat everything. So being 1. on a budget and 2. food restricted, we plan on making the most of the kitchens in the rooms and hoping to have somewhere close to use local ingredients to cook with.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cairo, Egypt, Nile River Valley, Luxor
Level Contributor
9,689 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where do the locals shop?

kitten,

you should visit Alfa market in Zamalek, you will find everything you need for self catering.

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
1,728 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where do the locals shop?

I lived next door to Safir Suites on Mohamad Mazhar street in Zamalek for five years.

1. When you go out from the hotel entrance take your right. There are many small shops that sell fresh vegetables on that street.

2. If you take your left, you will pass the Swedish embassy. Just after the embassy and the beautiful white residence of the Saudi ambassador, turn right and keep on walking 30 meters. There is a small supermarket called Saoudi. They sell fresh vegetables and imported goods.

3. There are also bigger supermarkets in Zamalek such as Metro. The best way to find them is to ask the hotel information. They can show them to you on a map.

CHEERS

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
376 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where do the locals shop?

thanks so much for the tips!

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Where do the locals shop?

i personnally use more local shops because they're a lot cheaper n more variety.

for food and grocery shopping: the most awesome place ever would be the bab el louk market. fresh fruit, veges, meats. its great and its very cheap.

for clothes and shoes; you can try either talaat harb str. downtown

hope this helps.

7. Re: Where do the locals shop?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 20:18