We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

traveling on Egypt on April 15

Syracuse, New York
2 posts
Save Topic
traveling on Egypt on April 15

We are two US females who have booked a trip to Cairo, Aswan and a cruise up the Nile River to Luxor. We are also spending two days at the Red Sea at Hurghada. We can still get our airline ticket money back and our money for the tour if we cancel within the next few days. We are not sure if we will be safe traveling. We were so looking forward to this trip but now we are not sure if we should travel somewhere else. Any advice or information would be appreciated to help us make our decision. Thank you.

Edited: 30 March 2011, 02:59
Memphis Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Day Trips
' Egypt Tailor Made Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Photography Tours, Day Trips, Safaris
Emo Tours Egypt
City Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours, Other Outdoor Activities
Ramasside Tours - Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
1,397 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: traveling on Egypt on April 15

If you are doing a tour, it seems from other posters that you should be safe enough, but if you're doing some travelling by yourselves, you may need to be a bit more careful. We're arriving on April 9th to do a tour with our 2 kids, and feel confident it will be okay, as the tours will be keen to be successful to get more tourists back. Just keep reading any up-to-date topics and see how you feel. Whichever way you go, I hope you are happy with your choice- and if you feel a bit nervous, don't think of yourselves as chicken, as you are allowed to feel happy about your own decision.

Skane County, Sweden
Level Contributor
140 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: traveling on Egypt on April 15

Hello! I am going myself at the end of april, traveling allover Egypt (almost). I think Egypt is pretty safe, although they are not used to females travelling on their own. I think its totally worth it though!

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,280 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: traveling on Egypt on April 15

I think you will be as safe as anywhere, under current conditions. If things change then probably there would be new opportunities to cancel, for instance under your insurance.

I have several times been to Egypt (but not the Red Sea where things may be different) as one of two females and have never had the slightest trouble from that point of view. You should of course dress sensibly and not encourage strange men.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
171 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: traveling on Egypt on April 15

Hammer, go for it! This will be an amazing time to see Egypt. The State Department lifted the strict travel warning yesterday, which they would not have done if they thought it was unsafe for us to travel there. I posted the link to the update yesterday if you are interested in reading the details. Have a wonderful trip!

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: traveling on Egypt on April 15

My wife and I were in Cairo on March 22 and 23 and Luxor on March 24 and 25. In Cairo we walked from our hotel on the island of Zamalek to the Egyptian Museum on March 24. We witnessed a protest outside the state television station on the Nile and one marching from Tahrir Square. However, we never felt unsafe.

On March 25, we walked through the Khan el-Khalili market. Although the shopkeepers hassled us a lot to buy from them because there were no tourist there, we again did not feel unsafe. We also walked through the market for the locals there. Though an absolutely incredible experience, we again did not feel unsafe.

There were almost no tourists in Luxor who weren't part of a tour package (we did Luxor on our own). Although we received a lot of hassle from taxi drivers, horse carriage drivers, and shopkeepers to take their taxis or buy at their shops, it was easy to brush off with jokes or "no thank yous." Even though we walked around a lot late at night, we again did not feel unsafe. The soldiers at the tanks even let us take photos of their tanks.

All and all we are very happy we went to Egypt. When people asked us where we were from, they were always very friendly about America. "I love America" "Obama!" or the inevitable "Welcome to Alaska!"

Sarnia, Ontario
Level Contributor
332 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: traveling on Egypt on April 15

I would go for it and realize that this is the best time to visit Egypt in your life time. You timing is perfect.

Cape Town Central...
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: traveling on Egypt on April 15

We have just returned from a 10-day trip to Egypt from 17-28 March (far too short) and had a fabulous time, mainly because everyone else chose to stay at home. At some of the temples we were the only visitors! Apart from the usual hassle from souvenir sellers and carriage drivers, everyone was very welcoming and keen to tell the story of the revolution. In fact, this is rather a special time to be in Egypt. None of our excellent guides or drivers had worked for 2 months, so we did tend to tip a little over the odds, but we felt the service we received was excellent. Just use commonsense, stay out of areas you do not feel happy in and, if you do come across a demonstration of some sort, walk away.

Pat, Cape Town

Syracuse, New York
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: traveling on Egypt on April 15

Thank you for all of the responses. We need to book by tomorrow and we are now leaning towards going. I feel more comfortable. Pat, what do you recommend that women wear so we are comfortable yet at the same time respectful of the culture. Also, what do you suggest for footwear? Thank you.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cairo, Egypt, Nile River Valley, Luxor
Level Contributor
9,942 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: traveling on Egypt on April 15

Here are two good articles for ladies on what to wear, the first was written by Wendy a DE for Cairo based on her years of living in Cairo, the second one was written mainly for Luxor but still applies to Egypt as a whole.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g294201-c74912/Cairo:…

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i20276-Dress_Co…

10. Re: traveling on Egypt on April 15

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 18:18