We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Exchanging money in Cairo Airport

Which Cairo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pickering, Canada
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
Exchanging money in Cairo Airport

Hi, I have been advised by my travel agent to purchase my money at the airport, where he says I will get the best rate. Does this sound right? Should I convert a lot there or a little and where else do you convert money that gives you a good rate and low fee? Any other tips about the money would be appreciated. Thanks Cathy

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
295 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Exchanging money in Cairo Airport

We never exchanged money - we withdrew from the cash machine in arrivals shortly after we landed and for the rest of our stay.

Not sure how the commission from exchange compares with withdrawal fees charged by the banks. Maybe someone else can advise.

Pickering, Canada
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Exchanging money in Cairo Airport

How did you manage the problem of getting small? Did you do it through change? Were the denominations through the bank machine varied or just big bills? Thanks for your help. Cathy

Sarnia, Ontario
Level Contributor
322 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Exchanging money in Cairo Airport

Be careful and know that your Canadian bank card might not work at all the ATM machines. I was forced to used my credit card at some of the machines, which was fine as it was my back up. I just wanted you to know.

Getting small bills (like 5's) or even coins is harder than you think and even hotels do not have change. You just have to deal with it.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
295 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Exchanging money in Cairo Airport

For small change I would pop into the larger supermarkets and buy something small (e.g. a bottle of water or some dates) and they always changed big notes without a grumble.

I would keep back the small notes and coins and try not to spend them until I really needed to - or kept them for baksheesh.

We did try to change big notes in a bank but they said they had no change... it seems to be a very common problem in Egypt that no-one has change to give back !!

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
171 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Exchanging money in Cairo Airport

Could anyone tell me if the airport banks will be open in the evening? We arrive on the (new) BA 155 at 9pm from London and because the exchange rate is so pathetic here in the US, I was not planning on changing money before we go.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cairo, Egypt, Nile River Valley, Luxor
Level Contributor
8,062 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Exchanging money in Cairo Airport

The airport banks are open 24/7, they are more like kiosks - small booths where you buy your visa also.

Cathaway, I have never paid commission for exchanging money in Egypt and you will get a better rate in Egypt than at home. There are loads of banks and money exchange bureaus all over Cairo and the price is advertised on the wall.

I also don't have a problem getting smaller bills, I shop local and they always change for me. Make sure you don't get any of the 200LE bills, they are a nightmare to change, I use those to pay my hotel charges.

Pickering, Canada
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Exchanging money in Cairo Airport

Have you ever seen someone reply to there own questions. Well here goes. We are here now and the exchange at the airport and the banks is the same. There is no difference. Our hotel has a bank in it and they are open 24 hours a day. The ATM advice is true, a lot of the ATM's don't accept the debit card I have from Canada. Things are great here, no lines and waiting and the people are extremely welcoming and friendly.

Skane County, Sweden
Level Contributor
136 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Exchanging money in Cairo Airport

Maybe you can order at an exchangeoffice in your country? People coming back from vacation may have small change with them back.

9. Re: Exchanging money in Cairo Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 20:18