We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moving to Cairo - where to live close to the french school ?

Copenhagen, Denmark
6 posts
Save Topic
Moving to Cairo - where to live close to the french school ?

Hello everybody

We are a French/Danish family moving to Cairo in August.

Our children will be going to the French School, which we believe should be in the Maadi area but we are wondering which metro station is the closest one?

We have also understood that Maadi consists of several areas (Degla, Corniche etc), does anyone know where we should look for an apartment in Maadi to be close to the French School?

Will it be possible for my husband to take the metro to work in the inner city? Or is it too crowded? Does anyone know how long time it will take him from Maadi to City with the Metro???

We really appreciate all help!!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,251 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Moving to Cairo - where to live close to the french school ?

Do you have the exact address or the web site of that school?

Maadi is a big subborb. So far, it has three metro stations. Three more will be added when Line 5 is coompleted but thta wouldn't happen for years. So for now, those who use the metro get to the closest staton and take a cab from there to the final destination. Cabs are available 24/7 and they are cheap.

There is nothing called the "inner city" in Cairo. It is a huge city with 18 million people. So far, there are only two metro lines operating and the third will begin to operate later this year. This means there are many areas that are still not covered by metro. You need to give us the exact district to tell you if you can use the metro or not.

Finally, you can use the metro. It is crowded in the rsh hour of course, but for me that was not the biggest problem. The biggest problem is that in the summer, Line 1 trains (which go to Maadi) tend to be very hot and humid during the day coz they are not air conditioned and most of the line is above the ground, so they get a lot of direct sun light and in Cairo's summer, that means they become quite a hot place to be at. So, during the summer, it might be better to use an air conditioned cab instead. Again, those are quite cheap.

Copenhagen, Denmark
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Moving to Cairo - where to live close to the french school ?

hi Darsh

Many thanks for taking your time and explain.

The school's address is: Lycée Français du Caire 2010 - 7, rue 12, Maadi / Le Caire.

My husbands work will be: 1191 Corniche El Nil, World Trade Centre

Boulac, Cairo.

I hope this helps..

It is our idea that we would live close to the school and my husband will be using the metro. Is this possible and do you know how long time will it take in the metro? Is this idea too optimistic? We have heard that otherwise it will take him 2 hours by car !! ??

I look very much forward to hearing from you.

3. Re: Moving to Cairo - where to live close to the french school ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 07 April 2011, 00:35
Copenhagen, Denmark
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Moving to Cairo - where to live close to the french school ?

Dear MAGCU

Many thanks for your proposal - very kind of you. It sounds very nice but we have already decided that our flat must be as close as possible to the French School, which means somewhere in Maadi...

We are just concerned about how much time it will take my husband to go to work and if it will be possible to do so with the metro.

Once again many thanks.

Valencia, Spain
Level Contributor
30 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Moving to Cairo - where to live close to the french school ?

I also wanted to add... If your husband is going to work at World Trade Center, he probably needs to take taxi from the nearest Metro station, which would be Nasser, but usually the traffic around that area is pretty bad. If he decides to walk to the WTD, it would take him at least 20 minutes in the exhaust fumes....

Copenhagen, Denmark
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Moving to Cairo - where to live close to the french school ?

Hi Thinkingmagpi

Thank you for your very important comments. I really appreciate all your help. My husband will have to find a solution to that issue. Do they have rush hours in Cairo?

Also, would you happen to know how long time it will take from Maadi to Nasser station using the metro???

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cairo, Egypt, Nile River Valley, Luxor
Level Contributor
10,157 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Moving to Cairo - where to live close to the french school ?

I looked up my map and the school is nearest to Sakanat El Maadi , it is about ten stops to Nasser station from Sakanat El Maadi. The train is pretty reliable & efficient, so won't take that long but it would be a couple of kilometres walk to WTC from Nasser, as mentioned it is a busy traffic area so not a pleasant walk but doable.

I would contact your husband's employer as they often have a driver/car arrangement or contact the school they may have a bus option?

Valencia, Spain
Level Contributor
30 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Moving to Cairo - where to live close to the french school ?

I agree with Nefertari.

If they have their own bus service or private driver/car option, that would be the best. Even if they don't, arranging your own private transport to the office every morning is still a possibility.

Maybe, you might like to visit Egypt Expat Forum ( expatforum.com/expats/… ) and ask if any of them know reliable drivers? There are several regular members living in Maadi on that forum.

Also, The Community Service Association (CSA), the organization helping expats living in Cairo, has their office in Maadi, so maybe they can help you with some more information. They publish free monthly English language magazine as well. Their website is http://www.livinginegypt.org .

By the way, the train trip from Sakanat El Maadi or El Maadi to Nasser is about 30 - 35 minutes. A bit dirty, but they are quite reliable ;)

And, yes, there are rush hours in Cairo but, to be honest, every weekday daytime is a rush hour there...

Copenhagen, Denmark
6 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Moving to Cairo - where to live close to the french school ?

Great proposals - thank you both of you!!

I will definitely check out both links!! Sounds very interesting.

Also thanks for your idea about finding a private driver for my husband as an alternative for the metro, and yes, maybe the school offers a bus for the children...

Once again, thanks a million for taking your time! It is really appreciated!!!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,251 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Moving to Cairo - where to live close to the french school ?

sorry for the late reply

I can't add a lot to what has been said above.

But as I told you, the metro is reliable, fast and effecient, but in the summer it is not comfortable coz of the heat + the walk from Nasser Station to the WTC is not pleasent and in the summer it would be anything but enjoyable.

I suggest first you check with the employer. If it does not offer any help with transportation, then you might be better off sorting a deal with a taxi driver to do the trip every day for a monthly rate or just wave a taxi on the road for every trip.

As for rush hour, every hour in Cairo is rush hour, but in the morning the worst times are between 7:30 and 9 am and in the afternoon it is 4-7 pm

Get answers to your questions about Cairo