We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cairo to Petra or Luxor

Ohio
Level Contributor
323 posts
397 reviews
Save Topic
Cairo to Petra or Luxor

We will visit Cairo in June. We would like to visit Luxor or Petra in Jordan. Petra is our first choice but we are not sure how hard the logistics are to get to Petra. We know luxor is amazing, but would anyone suggest it over Petra and how is it best to get to Petra.

australia
Level Contributor
95 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cairo to Petra or Luxor

I would stick to luxor,you will need a least 2 full days & then a trip down to aswan & abu simbel.

We did petra as a stop over with royal jordonian via amman .

Petra is a fantastic place but if i had to pick one over the other,i would pick Luxor.

The temples & tombs are amasing.It will be very hot that time of the year ,Think 40 c day time & 30 c night time.

You will need to do your sight seeing first thing in the morning before it get's to hot.

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
20,715 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cairo to Petra or Luxor

Yes, I agree with aussie that it would probably be best to go to Luxor. Of course Petra is amazing as is Luxor, so it's possibly the toss of a coin, but to travel to Luxor would be easier as it's in the same country so you wouldn't have to go through the drama of an international flight, immigration and all the rest of it.

Luxor, Egypt
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cairo to Petra or Luxor

Yes, I agree with aussie and travelk, it would be best to go to Luxor.

Ohio
Level Contributor
323 posts
397 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cairo to Petra or Luxor

How hard is it to get to Petra, I haven't researched it yet. it shouldn't be a long flight but what city do you go into and then how do you get to Petra?

Luxor, Egypt
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cairo to Petra or Luxor

Hi Xcapeohilo, maybe Aussie answer your quition about Petra.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cairo, Egypt, Nile River Valley, Luxor
Level Contributor
10,157 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cairo to Petra or Luxor

I would also stick with Luxor but you can certainly arrange a trip to Petra with any Egyptian travel agent. They have a variety of options overland or by air into Amman which is pricier but you still have to get a bus to Petra from Amman.

I did a day trip to Petra from Sharm, I would recommend spending the night in Petra and have more time there. We left Sharm at about 4.30am , flew to Aqaba Jordan around 6 am , approx one hour flight and then by bus to Petra which took about 2 and a half hours. The walk through the siq takes at least an hour and then we had a couple of hours there (I could have spent more time), we had lunch at the Petra Marriott and then bus back to Aqaba and flight back to Sharm. It was a long day but worth it, contact a few Egyptian travel agents and get some prices.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
302 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cairo to Petra or Luxor

Hi I recently spent 2 months over there, I must say that Luxor and Petra are both amazing, Luxor especially so on the West Bank, so many different sites and temples and tombs to explore, having had a love of ancient egypt forever I absolutely loved Luxor and developed a passion for descending into tombs and seeing the amazing colours and artwork. (PS staying on the West Bank too is highly recommended and much more peaceful).

From Cairo we took a 6 hour bus to Taba and then walked over the Israeli border (no fee) to Eilat which was very quick, a short taxi ride will take you to the Jordan border where you have to pay an exit fee. There is no charge to enter Jordan.

From the border a taxi to Wadi Musa (for Petra) should cost no more than 40JOD and will take up to 2.5 hours travel. We spent 5 days there and a 3 day ticket for Petra cost £60. It was an amazing trip and we did some brilliant walks round the archaeological park. There is so much more to see there than I anticipated.

We returned to Egypt on the ferry to Nuweiba from Aqaba which cost about $50.

I suppose at the end of the day it depends where your 'passions' lie, hiking is the order of the day at Petra and marvelling at the tombs dotted about just about everywhere at every height. And Luxor is well the amazingness of Ancient Egypt!

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,488 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cairo to Petra or Luxor

Petra is impressive but there are just the carved facades about which very little is known. There are a few hotels and cafes. Two nights there would be enough.

Luxor is a lively real city with at least a dozen major ancient temples and scores of ancient tombs, as well as an excellent museum, large market, boat and balloon trips, retaurants and shops, etc. You could spend at least a week there - many people on this forum go back again and again.

The two places are not comparable.

Denver
Level Contributor
27 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cairo to Petra or Luxor

I recently was lucky enough to do luxor and Petra (returned March 20th) so I can say that if you are already in Cairo and only have a few days do Luxor. Luxor is so different than Cairo...you really need both to feel you have been and see Egypt. Petra is amazing but you need more time. I would suggest doing Jordan as another trip.

Ohio
Level Contributor
323 posts
397 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cairo to Petra or Luxor

Thank you for the response. How many days does it take to go to Petra? We are thinking of adding a few more days. How complicated is it to get there and is it expensive? Thank you.