We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo Female Traveler in Egypt

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Solo Female Traveler in Egypt

I am planning a 16 day trip (tour) through Egypt next March. However I am planning to fly into Cairo 5 days earlier so I can see more of the city before my tour begins. I was thinking about going to St. Catherines Monastery on my own, via bus and staying either at the Monastery or in St. Catherines. Would this be wise or should I be taking a tour?

1. Re: Solo Female Traveler in Egypt

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2012, 14:42
Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
26,832 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Solo Female Traveler in Egypt

I would agree, take a tour. Otherwise how were you thinking of getting there? What route would you take? It is a long way. You would spend one day travelling another at the monastry and another travelling. That's 3 days. Have you been to Egypt before?

Edited: 15 June 2011, 23:53
Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Solo Female Traveler in Egypt

There is a bus that leaves Cairo around 11am and gets into St. Catherine's at 7pm. You are right about the time frame, two days to get there, one day there. I guess I am concerned about cost. Most of the tours out of Cairo range around $400, but I am concerned about travelling out of Cairo on my own. Should I be overly concerned. I have travelled on my own in Turkey, would there be much of a difference?

Somerset
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
26,832 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Solo Female Traveler in Egypt

Katecapone, It would be a real adventure. Are you sure about any toilet stops and how you will eat? You will probably need a picnic or two. Do you speak the language? It is not a tourist bus.

Personally to take 3 days out of your holiday to go there may be disapointing. While the desert is beautiful, (though 16 hours of it may be a bit much) and the site interesting it is very crowded, you have to move constantly around the church in a shuffle of people because there are so many. Make sure you know the price of the tickets too before you buy.

I believe you will find so much to do in Cairo which is a city unlike any other that you would get a real feel for Egypt. It is very different from Turkey in culture.

Possibily for the same price as an organised trip to St Katherines you could get a budget hotel in Sharm el Sheikh and a short pleasant trip to StK.

Try posting on the Egypt forums for advice and look at the FAQ's for information.

Edited: 16 June 2011, 01:15
Somerset
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
26,832 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Solo Female Traveler in Egypt

Sorry to bombard you a bit Kate! Found this, may be of interest.

worldwildtravel.com/travelstories/79-egypt/2…

and

fco.gov.uk/en/…egypt

Cairo, Egypt
Destination Expert
for Egypt, Cairo, Luxor, Aswan, Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
3,032 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Solo Female Traveler in Egypt

I would actually say it is ok to go on your own to Saint Catherine, lots of tourists do that, but try to book where to stay first and even before you start the trip , as if you will walk in a hotel they will sell you the room so expensive, try to mail some of them and ask for a price,

also you do NOT need too many days, I would say to go with the bus you mentioned, then next morning to climb the mountain of Moses and then on your way down to visit the monastery, then after that to take the bus back to Cairo, no need to spend more days there, most of people do it like that, just one night stay and that is it

and yes if you will take private tour it will be so expensive for you mainly for the private transportation to and from Saint Catherine, so better to use the bus

wish you enjoy it

Cairo, Egypt
Destination Expert
for Egypt, Cairo, Luxor, Aswan, Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
3,032 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Solo Female Traveler in Egypt

also do not worry about toilet stops they do 2 stops at least and usually do 3 , there you can buy some snacks to eat or soemthing to drink

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
487 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Solo Female Traveler in Egypt

Buses going to Sinai are not perhaps full of tourists but they are full of people who work in tourism, because there are almost no other kind of people in Sinai (except for a few holidaying egyptians but who can afford to holiday in Sinai, usually have a car or can afford an airplane ticket). So even if you happen to be the only lady in the bus (as you perhaps will be) everyone will be most polite and caring.

Bus quality depends of the company, some (o Sharm) are quite luxurious with well functioning water toilets, TVs and drinks and snacks service (Superjet). But all make stops anyway too.

I would perhaps travel into Sharm el Sheikh or Nuweiba, which way you prefer, and enjpy some seaside time too ;) and take an organised tour from there.

Otherwise, if St. Catherine is not so important but simply to visit a monastery or a meaningful site, then the world's oldest Christian (Coptic) monastery is located in the mountains near El Ein el Sokhna, not more than 150 km from Cairo towards Hurghada. It is called St. Anthony's. It is quite possible to go there by hired taxi or car from Cairo - should not cost more than say 200-300 egp to and fro. Or put an inquiry to travel agents like Memphis tours or similar. The road to Ein Sukhna (many ways to write it) is very nice, too, and there are quite a number of beach resorts there, if you fancy a lunch on the way back or even a day use of the beach.

…go.com/Travel/…

drhawass.com/sites/drhawass.com/files/photob…

Somerset
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
26,832 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Solo Female Traveler in Egypt

That is really interesting Nevermind. I would love to see that, and before it gets too busy like St Catherines though it probably won't as the area is quieter. I had read a little about it but not seen a photo.

10. Re: Solo Female Traveler in Egypt

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2012, 14:42
Edited: 19 October 2012, 14:42