We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cairo Airport to downtown/Ramses Station & booking sleeper t

london
Level Contributor
275 posts
Save Topic
Cairo Airport to downtown/Ramses Station & booking sleeper t

Hello please can you advise of the cost of say getting to Ramses Station from the airport by taxi?. I want to buy a sleeper ticket to aswan for two days later so feel its best to get it straight away at ramses. Im aware the 8pm sleeper train departs from Giza.

Is it straight forward to buy sleeper train tickets at Ramses St? I hear there is refurbishment work happening

I understand payment is only accepted in USD or EUR?

Cost of taxi from airport to Ramses St?

Is it walkable from Ramses Station to Egyptian Musuem as I am staying near there?

Thanks

NE UK
Level Contributor
609 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cairo Airport to downtown/Ramses Station & booking sleeper t

Hi Jonhope - In March this year, my hotel arranged to pick me up from the airport. The hotel (The Windsor) is downtown and Ramses station is quite close. The charge for the taxi was 80LE, so I would think similar for the station. It's some years since I travelled on the sleeper train, but I did pay in US Dollars, Euros were not accepted then, but maybe are now. You CAN walk to the museum, but as it's probably very busy traffic wise at that time, and a nightmare crossing roads, a taxi might be better (around 15LE). You could also ask your driver, who takes you from the airport, to wait for you. Good Luck!

UK
Level Contributor
598 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cairo Airport to downtown/Ramses Station & booking sleeper t

According to seat61, dollars, sterling or Euros are accepted as payment.

www.seat61.com/Egypt.htm#How%20to%20book

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
295 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cairo Airport to downtown/Ramses Station & booking sleeper t

Hi

In March I paid 50LE from airport to downtown (near Ramses station)

Bargain hard!

4. Re: Cairo Airport to downtown/Ramses Station & booking sleeper t

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2012, 14:42
cairo
Level Contributor
483 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cairo Airport to downtown/Ramses Station & booking sleeper t

it is still available to buy tickets for the sleeper train from Ramses station, from the main entrance, turn left to find the airconditioned office of the sleeper train tickets. make sure you have your passport wit hyou as they take a photocopy.

If you would be staying ina hotel near ramses station area, then yes, it is about 15 minutes to the Cairo museum. walk to the west in the direction to the river Nile parallel to 6 of October pride:)

Have FUN!!

london
Level Contributor
275 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Cairo Airport to downtown/Ramses Station & booking sleeper t

great, thanks everyone

Was thinking of visiting giza pyramids as part of a tour. Will my hotel/hostel be able to arrange this for the next day as part of a group with others maybe?

If there is no demand I am happy to go alone. Is it best to get a yellow metered taxi. How much will it cost? Will this drop me near the entrance? Have heard a few horror stories with getting to and visiting the pyramids

cairo
Level Contributor
483 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cairo Airport to downtown/Ramses Station & booking sleeper t

Not the yellow taxi with meters, it is the white with meters much cheaper than the yellow. any hotel is able to arrange the trip to Giza pyramids.

8. Re: Cairo Airport to downtown/Ramses Station & booking sleeper t

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2012, 05:19
Get answers to your questions about Cairo