We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cash\travellers cheques\credit card\top up card???

Which Cairo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
UK
Level Contributor
74 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
cash\travellers cheques\credit card\top up card???

which is best to take from the UK?

was going to take cash but looking into these prepaid cards - FairFX

Is there a limit of cash you can take into the country?

any advice

West Country
Level Contributor
1,460 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cash\travellers cheques\credit card\top up card???

Not had experience of top up cards but when going to Egypt I take sterling cash and change it there where the exchange rate is about 10% better than the UK.

I also take my debit/credit cards, the latter as emergency only lol. You can get money from ATMs in the usual way.

UK
Level Contributor
74 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cash\travellers cheques\credit card\top up card???

thanks, do you know if there is a cash limit you are allowed?

West Country
Level Contributor
1,460 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cash\travellers cheques\credit card\top up card???

$10,000 or it's UK equivalent.

4. Re: cash\travellers cheques\credit card\top up card???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2012, 14:41
canada
Level Contributor
212 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cash\travellers cheques\credit card\top up card???

I took cash and a credit card. Make sure you call your bank to tell them where you will be. You don't want them to freeze your credit card suspecting fraud.

West Country
Level Contributor
1,460 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cash\travellers cheques\credit card\top up card???

Travelgurl makes a good point....although when i rang my bank they got stroppy and asked why I was telling them!!!...sometimes I wonder why i bother!

canada
Level Contributor
212 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cash\travellers cheques\credit card\top up card???

haha...that sucks...I mention it because my brother in law actually had one of his cards frozen when he tried to pay for dinner...lucky for him he has a whole wallet full of credit cards. I carry only one so something like that would have been super inconvenient. My bank was pretty professional about it when I called. Maybe you just got an agent in a bad mood.

West Country
Level Contributor
1,460 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: cash\travellers cheques\credit card\top up card???

Like you I only carry one but my bank just didn't seem to care. Wonder what would have happened if I had used it in Egypt without telling them first.

9. Re: cash\travellers cheques\credit card\top up card???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2012, 05:16