We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Egypt For First Time in 3 Weeks! Top Three Bits of Advice?

Which Cairo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,564 posts
241 reviews
Save Topic
Egypt For First Time in 3 Weeks! Top Three Bits of Advice?

My wife and I are headed to Egypt for the first time in anout 3 weeks to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. We direct booked most of the trip with help from TA Forum posts. Booked some high-end and some not so much. 3 days in Cairo at the Marriott with tours set up of Giza and Cairo. Then on to Luxor for a short and expensive stay at the old Winter Palace with a tour of the Valley of the Kings and then on the Alexander the Great for 7 nights cruising from Luxor down to Aswan and Abu Simbel, then back to Concorde El Salam and back home.

You may certainly comment on my itinerary if you wish, but really want to know your top 3 Tips for our first visit.

Thanks.

Leeds
Level Contributor
165 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Egypt For First Time in 3 Weeks! Top Three Bits of Advice?

Hi Eddie

You say you have booked your trip with the help of TA Forum Posts so I guess you will be aware of many of the pitfalls.

My top tips would be

1 Follow local dress codes - covered shoulders etc. Locals will be more respectful of those who follow their customs, and you will avoid any nasty sunburn.

2 If you find yourself in a situation where you feel threatened, or one where ANY of you party feel uncomfortable, Stop, shout for help (or STOP - GO AWAY), and make it absolutely clear that your are not happy (I have even thought about recommending a whistle) It is my humble opinion that essentially the Egyptian people are good and will come to your assistance. I think if people did this and stood up to hassle in a public way it might reduce.

3 Familiarise yourself with the costs of trips, taxis etc from this site and if you find someone who speaks your language well, and if you need to go anywhere say, I would like to go to ... for LE... can you do this? Make sure it is an inclusive price and stick with this person for your trips if they offer good service.

These would be my tips, I always follow (1) although I am not sure I could follow my own advice at 2 (I'm a bit of a wimp) but I hope it would work :) I am lucky enough to have family in Egypt and suffer very little hassle or unpleasantness travelling around Luxor on my own, even on my most recent visit in July/August.

I hope you have a wonderful holiday

Denise

Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,564 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Egypt For First Time in 3 Weeks! Top Three Bits of Advice?

Thank you, Denise.

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
1,728 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Egypt For First Time in 3 Weeks! Top Three Bits of Advice?

Here are more pieces of advice for first timers:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g294201-s409/Cairo:Eg…

CHEERS

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,021 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Egypt For First Time in 3 Weeks! Top Three Bits of Advice?

I agree with the tips given. I would also add, buy a packet of Antinal at any pharmacy for 5 LE and keep in reserve, taking it at the first sign of any tummy trouble. Hopefully you won't need it but it could save your holiday.

Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,564 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Egypt For First Time in 3 Weeks! Top Three Bits of Advice?

Thanks for your replies and suggestions. We are ready!

Hopefully, my experiences growing up on the hard, mean, sometimes dirty and always congested streets of Chicago and having seen the best and worst of all major American cities....traveled on 5 continents and survived alone in Sao Paulo, Morrocco, and the hassles of the strip in Las Vegas :)....Egypt should be no problem. Eager to get there.

Leeds
Level Contributor
165 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Egypt For First Time in 3 Weeks! Top Three Bits of Advice?

Well Said Eddie

Go for it!

Forewarned... and all that

Few things can compare to Cairo Traffic, make sure you have your camera handy, I have several pictures of camels in lorries, 7 (people) on motorbikes, including one side saddle, not to mention the odd donkey (or six goats) walking down a busy street.

I am sure you will have a great time - please report in when you get back and let us know about your holiday :)

Denise

Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
218 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Egypt For First Time in 3 Weeks! Top Three Bits of Advice?

Eddie,

My husband and myself have a trip planned to Egypt in March 2012. Everytime we mention it to someone that we are going, all we hear is how crazy we are for wanting to go to Egypt and how unsafe it is. Have been reading a lot of posts and almost everyone says that it is safe. Our itinerary is much like yours except we did go through a travel agency in Cairo. We will have a private guide for 2 days in Cairo, a Nile cruise, and a trip to Alexandria.

I would very much like to hear your opinion once you have completed your travel of what you thought about safety, etc.

Hope you have/had a great trip!

Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,564 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Egypt For First Time in 3 Weeks! Top Three Bits of Advice?

We go in 2 weeks and I will post reviews on or about Oct. 22 after we return.

We too are hearing the American paranoia. Most would never leave the US because "it is a scary world out there." We heard some of the same fear when we traveld to South Africa, China, Brazil, Morrocco and others. We are originally from Chicago. I could take you neighborhoods in Chicago where your chance of surviving 24 hours on your own without at least being molested are close to nil. Same thing in almost any major city. Don't think our chances of being harmed in Egypt, especially where we will be traveling are any greater than staying right where we are. :)

Next time someone tells you how scary Egypt is, ask them where (if anywhere) they have traveled outside the US.

Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
218 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Egypt For First Time in 3 Weeks! Top Three Bits of Advice?

I totally agree with you. I try not to feed into this but sometimes...

I also realize we only hear what the media wants us to hear in the US. Will look forward to your review once you return. Have a great trip!

San Antonio
Level Contributor
64 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Egypt For First Time in 3 Weeks! Top Three Bits of Advice?

Eddie,

I am sure you will have an awesome trip! Here are some Luxor tips:

Depending on how long you stay in Luxor, air balloon is a must!

Also, McDonald's in Luxor is about the only McDonald's I would recommend, and it has an awesome view, just go to the third or at least second floor.

Do all your excursions in Luxor as early as possible. The midday sun is brutal!

Buy bottled water outside of the hotel. Our hotel in Cairo said that outside food is not allowed, but we had no problems with that. A year ago, large bottle of water cost us 2.5 LE in Cairo, and 5 LE in Luxor. In hotels, I think it was about $4-5 in dollars, and in Egypt, you need to stay hydrated.