We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Medical facility in the Cairo museum

London, United...
4 posts
Save Topic
Medical facility in the Cairo museum

Hi there

I just wondered if anyone knew anything about the medical/doctor room at the Cairo Museum? Or has had to use it at all? I visited there a few years ago and unfortunately i came down really ill with a tummy bug. The museum was so hot that i just didn't feel comfortable and the toilets were not particularly welcoming! I saw a sign for the medical room and went in for some advice and I was given an injection in the backside and some tablets to go away with. All we had to pay was a contribution. I have worried ever since whether the needle was clean and if they were a legit doctor ;-/

Hayley

Mentioned in this post
Cairo
Cairo
Cairo Governorate, Egypt
Lincolnshire
Level Contributor
307 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Medical facility in the Cairo museum

Your brave! An injection and tablets by a doctor in a Museum in Egypt.! Do you know why they have a medical/doctor room in the museum? Just interested.

Mentioned in this post
Egypt
Egypt
Africa
London, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Medical facility in the Cairo museum

Well yes brave is one word but rather ill is a better way to describe it lol. In fact it all happened a bit quick i didnt really have time to protest! It was just unfortunate that I came down ill when scheduled for the museum trip, I didn't get to enjoy it. I have no idea why but I am guessing perhaps as it has a lot of tourists there everyday, what with the heat etc i imagine they have people pass out a lot and get dehydrated etc.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,201 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Medical facility in the Cairo museum

Unless you’ve posting from the great beyond or have been in a coma for the last “few years”, I can only assume that the needle was clean and the doctor wasn’t a medical school dropout. Why ask now?

Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
2,383 posts
275 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Medical facility in the Cairo museum

Just curious now. Were you phyisically held down during this too fast to respond encounter, or did they sneak up behind you and poke you through your clothing? Or, did you cooperate by pulling them down and bending over? Was mental cooersion or hypnosis used? Sorry, but the story has lots of holes in it. Did you try saying "No?"

England, United...
Level Contributor
5,908 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Medical facility in the Cairo museum

Errrmmm! Surely if, even after the passage of years, you have concerns about your health that may or may not relate to treatment that you had in Cairo museum...wouldn't it be better to be expressing these concerns to your GP so that he can request blood tests should he consider them necessary!

I would also suggest that the tummy bug was something you had already picked up and is what was making you feel ill in the museum, and was not something that you picked up as a result of being there.

Mentioned in this post
Cairo
Cairo
Cairo Governorate, Egypt
Australia
Destination Expert
for Cairo, Egypt, Nile River Valley, Luxor
Level Contributor
10,157 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Medical facility in the Cairo museum

I had to laugh as this reminded me of something that happened to me at Luxor airport. I was also suffering from the tummy bug and asked for the Doctor. They sent a young man to collect me and he led me down many corridors and back rooms to a first aid room. He wanted me to lay down so he could give me an intravenous drip, he spoke no english so I asked him in arabic if he was a Doctor? He just smiled and nodded, found out later he wasn't.

Fortunately I was well enough to block his approach;)

When the Doctor came in, he left - I got some tablets & the donation amount was the standard Egyptian response "as you like" - gotta love those words.

Mentioned in this post
Luxor
Luxor
Nile River Valley, Egypt
Cairo
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Medical facility in the Cairo museum

about the medical room at the museum, it is a fast aid room as hundreds of people are getting in the museum every day, with the heat and the common tummy bug , usually they are used to see the case you are describing and always the medication is known with that injection to stop the pain in the tummy and prevent vomet as well as some tablets for more or less the same effect

about the injections do not worry as they are single use plastic injections and they are too cheap to be re used , they are almost 3 injections for one egyptian pounds, so do not worry

Usually there is a doctor every day in the museum and they work in shifts, they are like the type of Family Doctors who can give fast aid to people with your case or others

if they found out the case is bigger or more serious they immediately call ambulance car that is always in the backyard of the museum to transfer the patient to the nearest hospital

England, United...
Level Contributor
5,908 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Medical facility in the Cairo museum

Ahmed, thank you for your response. It all makes perfect sense of the situation and hopefully has put a lot of peoples minds at rest.

Cairo
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Medical facility in the Cairo museum

you are welcome and I am glad I could be of a help

10. Re: Medical facility in the Cairo museum

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2012, 10:21