We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What Should We Expect @ Cairo Airport?

Which Cairo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,518 posts
241 reviews
Save Topic
What Should We Expect @ Cairo Airport?

Please go on about the "Hassles" if you wish....love the stories. However, we are really interested in the physical layout and what you experience when you arrive and depart at this airport, like:

* When you arrive and in the arrival hall are the immigration signs clearly marked, so that if you already have a visa you do not get diverted by scammers?

* After immigration, assume we go through to baggage claim. Is there a waiting area there for a driver to hold a sign with our name before we go to claim our bags?

* What else?

Seems like typical stuff in most places, but want to avoid as many hassles upon arrival and departure as we can.

Thanks for input.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cairo, Egypt, Nile River Valley, Luxor
Level Contributor
7,524 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What Should We Expect @ Cairo Airport?

It's very straightforward - get off the plane follow the crowd to passport control, wait and then head for luggage where the wait is even longer,lol.

I don't use guides in Cairo but they are usually waiting before passport control with signs with your name and the Company name on them, they always try to nab me as I am on my own, they assist you in the passport control. The banks / kiosks where you buy the visa/exchange money are just before passport control - hard to miss they have signs like Banque de Caire, National Bank of Egypt etc

If you have just arranged a transfer driver they will be waiting after you come out from l the luggage area, if you miss him just go to the service desk and they will page him for you.

The real "fun" comes when you get out out of the terminal, you will be beseiged by taxi drivers but if you have someone picking you up, just follow them. Personally I love the game but I realise not everyone does:)

Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,518 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What Should We Expect @ Cairo Airport?

Thanks Nefertari. That helps. We will look for our driver to the hotel, not a guide. Taxi drivers do not intimidate me...I was once of them in a big city, but thank goodness not in Cairo. :)

Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,518 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What Should We Expect @ Cairo Airport?

FYI - We loved "Mel-bun" and the drive around "the bite" when we were there.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cairo, Egypt, Nile River Valley, Luxor
Level Contributor
7,524 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What Should We Expect @ Cairo Airport?

lol Eddie, thanks enjoy your trip - only 3 days left for me......................

5. Re: What Should We Expect @ Cairo Airport?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2012, 23:17