We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cairo Airport duty free shop warning.

St Andrews, United...
Level Contributor
65 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Cairo Airport duty free shop warning.

Hi I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but thought I'd try to warn others so they don't fall into the trap we did.

We were flying back from Cairo to Scotland via Schipol in Amsterdam as there are no direct flights to Cairo from Edinburgh.

When we got to Cairo airport we went to the duty free and asked the person at the till if it was ok for us to buy 200 cigarettes and a ltr bottle of booze each to take back to Scotland despite us having a stop over at Schipol of about 4 hours. The teller spoke very good English, so no misunderstanding! He informed us it was 100% ok and placed the purchases in a sealed clear poly bag.

Well it isn't. When we went to through security at Schipol airport prior to getting the flight to Edinburgh the Dutch (charming NOT) security were totally uninterested in anything we had to say and demanded we dispose of the 2 bottles of booze. According to the Dutch security our problem was very common and blamed Cairo for "just ripping off tourists" QUOTE. I was not at all sure our 2 lovely bottles of special vodka weren't going to be drunk by the security lot so to their amazement I opened 1 bottle and had a huge gulp of the vodka, this was about 10.30 AM! The remainder I then poured down the basin in the toilets as I was not going to have anybody else enjoy it. Only positive was I slept most of the flight to Edinburgh!!! HIC. I still don't quite understand why this is the case other than strictly speaking we were flying from 1 EEC country to another altho we hadn't put a toenail out of Schipol Airport. Very annoying and we ended up with no duty free booze at all. Hey ho so please make sure you understand the flaming riules these days and don't get caught out as we did.

Memphis Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Day Trips
Emo Tours Egypt
City Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours, Other Outdoor Activities
Egypt Tailor Made Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Multi-day Tours, Private Tours, Photography Tours, Day Trips
Ramasside Tours
Multi-day Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,765 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cairo Airport duty free shop warning.

I am yet to understand all this 'no liquid' rules for flying... Everytime I fly there seems to be different rules... I bought a bottle of water from inside the airport in Bangkok to take on the plane after I already had one confiscated at customs. They were standing at the gate searching again... If I had of bought duty free at the airport shops this also would have gone. So its not just Cairo Airport... If they are trying to have a "no liquid" policy then ban ALL liquids... including duty free.. at least that way we know....

Good on you for tipping it down the sink...

Leeds
Level Contributor
165 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cairo Airport duty free shop warning.

I travelled Hurghada > Cairo > Schipol > Manchester earlier this year.... yes it was a mistake... My son bought duty free and also had it confiscated in Schipol, but they said it was because it was not sealed....

So if anyone is travelling via Schipol I suggest possibly cigarettes in Egypt and booze in Schipol..

Leeds
Level Contributor
165 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cairo Airport duty free shop warning.

Sorry that should read sealed in a plastic bag from point of purchase.

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
1,728 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cairo Airport duty free shop warning.

The same thing happened to me couple of years ago when I was travelling to Sweden via Vienna. At Vienna Airport the security confiscated a bottle of perfume that I bought at Cairo Airport.

Yes I was upset and I almost shouted at the security staff in Vienna. At the end I realized that it was partly my mistake because I didn’t read carefully the EU rules and regulations regarding airports and purchases. Sometimes we allow others to take advantage of us due to our lack of knowledge.

CHEERS

England, United...
Level Contributor
5,795 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cairo Airport duty free shop warning.

Schippol are particularly hot on this but it's not just Cairo flights that it applies too.

I also got caught out at Zurich airport and saw goods that I hadn't thought of as liquid - some edible pastes from a delicatesan - being confiscated for destruction.

At the end of the day it is up to us as individuals to make sure we know what the rules and regulations are for all apects of travel we are due to take - even if it is complicated at times.

St Andrews, United...
Level Contributor
65 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cairo Airport duty free shop warning.

Yes I wasn't blaming Cairo in particular. I asked Tripadvisor where to post what happened to us and they just suggested Cairo forum. Of course it does wonders for duty free sales at Schipol airport which I'm sure isn't intentional...........?

Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cairo Airport duty free shop warning.

The reason it was banned is that there isn't supposed to be any liquids over 100ml in your carry on. Don't feel too bad, my cousin gave my brother a bottle of Dom Perignon to give to my dad. My brother carried it on to avoid it getting damaged but forgot about the liquid rule so was stopped by security at Gatwick. He and a few other travelers drank the whole bottle! He then bought another bottle at the duty free shop.

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
118 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Cairo Airport duty free shop warning.

All the above comments illustrate how the purchasing habits of travellers need to change from the old method of buying on departure to the new method of buying duty free on arrival. The new method doesn't really help Europeans or Americans as you cannot buy duty free on arrival in the EU or USA/Canada... but the only way to avoid these problems is to think and act differently. This is why countries like Switzerland have introduced arrivals duty free shops and many others are now considering it, like Canada. If you buy on arrival, you can pack it in your hold baggage for your return trip... yes this is a pain, but it is cheaper and easier than confiscation. You cannot buy duty free for intra EU flights, such as Amsterdam to Scotland so this option is not available. Over 65 countries now operate duty free on arrival shopping.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
401 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cairo Airport duty free shop warning.

In Australia, I buy my duty free at the airport as I am about to leave for my trip and pick it up on the way home (usually weeks later). That way I don't have to carry it anywhere and I don't have to remember to save money for my purchases at the end of an overseas trip.

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
118 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Cairo Airport duty free shop warning.

This is a very good idea and Asia and Oceana lead the way in this practice. You can do similar in many South and Central American countries too, it's just that the buld of travellers from Europe and North America have no idea that you can do this. You can check every location in the world for these shops here .... http://www.dutyfreeonarrival.com/en/home/ Eventually, this method will have to take over so to avoid all the liquid problems.