We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mokattam Corniche

Rotterdam, The...
Level Contributor
889 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Mokattam Corniche

Hi,

I will be visiting Cairo in January and would love to visit Mokattam mountain. On this website I saw beautiful pictures of the Mokattam corniche (www.touregypt.net/featurestories/mokattam.htm) but does anyone know how to get there? I cannot find an exact street name and I haven't been able to find the place on google maps either. Has anyone been there?

Thanks in advance! Can't wait to visit :)

Mentioned in this post
Cairo
Cairo
Cairo Governorate, Egypt
Torun, Poland
Level Contributor
235 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mokattam Corniche

Hi Waezk,

I've been to Moqqatam - The Cave Church - you can check my day report here:

tripadvisor.com/…32902902

Unfortunately we didn't go "up" the hill to have that wonderfull view, specially at night I wanted to do that, but just tell your driver and he will take you there. No problem at all.

To find it on a map:

write in google "cairo al mokattam map" and there it is :)

Hope that helped and have a great journey!

Rotterdam, The...
Level Contributor
889 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mokattam Corniche

Hi Cynamonek,

Actually it was your trip report that made me aware of Moqqatam, lol. I still haven't read all your reports, but so far they are great! Awesome pictures as well. You really spent your time in Cairo to the fullest. And you even experienced a rare rain shower in April, wow!

I got a "stupid" question btw: on the pictures taken from your hotel room in Cairo near the 6th October bridge I didn't see any of the "famous" billboards that decorated the bridge. Did they really take those down? Some time ago I read about the government's plans to take down all billboards in central Cairo...such a shame as they really "colored" the streets in my opinion. But that might as well have to do with my crazy love for huge billboards, as we don't have those in Holland, lol.

Anyway, thanks a lot for your suggestions. I am now confident that my taxi driver will be able to know how to get to the corniche :)

Mentioned in this post
Cairo
Cairo
Cairo Governorate, Egypt
Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
1,728 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mokattam Corniche

The view of Cairo from the Mokattam hills is BREATHTAKING especially at sunset. The best view in all Cairo. If it's a clear day you can also see the Giza Pyramids. During my last visit to Cairo (last week) we went there almost every evening.

The only way to go there is by taxi/private car. The area is well known among the Cairo locals. Ask the driver to come and take you back after couple of hours, otherwise you will get stuck. No taxi cars available there.

Unfortunately the area is not well developped because it's close to a millitary zone. There are no "real" coffe shops. It's basically people who rent the side of the road facing Cairo and they place tables and chairs and offer coffee, tea or soft drinks. Many of the locals (couples) go there in the evening.

There is one cheap restaurant in the area called Virginian. They serve food, cold beverages and beer. The place is run-down but the view is worth the visit. One local beer costs 17 LE.

A taxi costs about 100 LE (two-way).

CHEERS

Mentioned in this post
Cairo
Cairo
Cairo Governorate, Egypt
Giza
Giza
Giza Governorate, Egypt
Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
1,728 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mokattam Corniche

By the way the weather is cold at the Mokattam hills in January because the area is open and windy. You need a winter jacket.

CHEERS

Edited: 22 October 2011, 15:04
Rotterdam, The...
Level Contributor
889 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mokattam Corniche

Thanks Mofissio, that's some great info! I realize that January may indeed be a bit cold. The averag daily max should be around 18 degrees which is fairly warm according to Dutch standards and is certainly enough for me to sit outside, but will there still be outdoor terraces etc in winter in Cairo? As I can imagine that for Egyptians it will feel really cold...Al Azhar Park also seems to have nice outdoor cafes, do you know if these are open in January as well?

Mentioned in this post
Cairo
Cairo
Cairo Governorate, Egypt
Al-Azhar Park
Al-Azhar Park
805 Reviews
Cairo, Egypt
Rotterdam, The...
Level Contributor
889 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mokattam Corniche

Do you by any chance know the opening times of the Cave Church? I can't find them online.

Thanks!

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
1,728 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mokattam Corniche

Usually the temperature is colder than 18 C at Al-Mokattam heights in the evening during January (about 5-10 C) because it's windy. Anyway it will never be as cold as in the Netherlands in winter.

Al-Azhar Park has also a panoramic view of Islamic Cairo and the surrounding areas. In winter, outdoor cafés at the park open mainly in the morning but it's possible to sit outside after sunset if you are not bothered by the wind. All cafés at the park have also indoor seating arrangements.

I think in Winter the Cave Church opens at 08:00 and closes at 16:30 like the rest of the churches in the Coptic area.

CHEERS

Edited: 22 October 2011, 16:07
Mentioned in this post
Al-Azhar Park
Al-Azhar Park
805 Reviews
Cairo, Egypt
Islamic Cairo
Islamic Cairo
682 Reviews
Cairo, Egypt
Rotterdam, The...
Level Contributor
889 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mokattam Corniche

Thanks again for the quick reply! You gave me some very good info. This will make my trip much more pleasant, as I now at least won't be freezing on top of the mountain after sunset, haha.

9. Re: Mokattam Corniche

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 06:18