We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting end December

VCG
Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
106 posts
228 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting end December

Hi. We are planning on a trip to Egypt for about 10 days. 6 at Sharm and 4 at Cairo. Wanted confirmation that all is OK on the political front. Will appreciate if people there will give some info on this.

Thanks in advance.

La Herradura, Spain
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh
Level Contributor
3,402 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting end December

Hard to say how things will be at the end of December. Things are calm there at the moment according to friends we spoke to last weekend in Cairo but elections are happening at end of November so things could change.

Cairo, Al Qahirah...
Level Contributor
12 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting end December

Agree with rollergirl52, But I'd also look at it from another side which is as government, travel associations & travel companies doing their best to bring back tourists to Egypt and revive the tourism sector. Connecting that to December ( Xmas & new year) I would say even with the elections and what might or might not happen... anywhere involves tourists will be much more than very well secured.

Hope you still come without hesitation & have a fantastic stay either in sharm or Cairo :)

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting end December

I'm visiting cairo mid December too.. Would anyone share what's the wheater at that time? It is winter, i know, but how cold will it be? Do I need to wear thick winter jacket or something? I've read that it will be cold at night, so not sure how is it during day time. Please advice.

Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
2,171 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting end December

Cannot predict the future, but we are just back from 18-Days from Cairo down to Abu Simbel with many stops along the way. We were aware of social unrest in a few instances, but never anything that was aimed at toursits in any way. Just the opposite, we felt very welcomed the entire time we were in Egypt. There are pushy salespeople on the streets. Use local guides who are recommended in advance. Learn how to respectfully say NO in few languages and keep on walking. Viewing the wonders of Egypt are worth th effort. We were there in the beginning of their so-called winter. days are warm to hot and evenings can be cool enough for a light jacket in Cairo. In luxor and south it was hotter.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
2 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting end December

planning first time visit to Cairo from Dec 16 for abt a week. looking forward to an exciting time there, but also rather jittery abt the political situation. thinking happy thoughts and hope to have a great time there!

6. Re: Visiting end December

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2012, 14:42
Rotterdam, The...
Level Contributor
889 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting end December

I was wondering how far those protests (such as today) actually spread into downtown and/or across the Nile. I mean: on the news I often see shots of burning cars, but that seems to be on more residential side streets. Could you perhaps tell me more about that Haisam (or someone else)?

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,745 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting end December

Tahrir Square is “downtown”. Whether the ‘disturbances’ spread out into the side streets is difficult to predict. They will to some extent but the degree depends on (1) how far the police choose to pursue those they chase out of the square, (2) whether those who leave the square decide to start smaller demos elsewhere and (3) if other neighbourhood demos spring up in sympathy. You may also find that the police will try to intercept groups of protestors before they can reach Tahrir Square.

Cairo is a big city and you will just have to keep your eyes open and avoid the trouble spots if and when they occur. There is still little or no hostility towards tourists but you don't want to get caught in the crossfire.

Edited: 20 November 2011, 21:29
Rotterdam, The...
Level Contributor
889 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visiting end December

Thanks for your answer! I will be in Cairo for about 7 days in January, but my hotel is located on Roda Island so I think I'll be fine. Don't wanna cancel the trip so I will indeed keep my eyes open and check the news regularly.

Douglas, United...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Visiting end December

I am supposed to be visiting Cairo also at the end of next week for 7 days, we are staying in Giza and im pretty concerned with the ongoing situation at the moment, the travel advice is there are no restrictions to travel to egypt at t the moment but obviously to stay away from any demonstrations which to me is common sense. What i would like someone to advise is whether it would be better to delay travel for a month or so or to continue with arrangements already made

Thanks