We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

safe to visit cairo april 2012??

Which Cairo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
london
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Topic
safe to visit cairo april 2012??

i am going to sharm for 2 weeks in april 2012 but am hoping to visit cairo for a day or two and maybe luxor but am worried with all of the problems that are going on..i am going with my mum and my 11 year old niece. i heard that the elections or some something is going on around march april 2012 , if thats the case the situation is going to be the same or even worse? please help

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,538 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: safe to visit cairo april 2012??

Can’t predict the future that far ahead but, to guesstimate, there is likely to be some continuing political tension and/or protest in Cairo and Alexandria. (The elections are set to be a lengthy process.) On current trends, however, there will be little or no hostility towards tourists and—as now—common sense and avoiding protests should be enough to see you through. Sharm itself should be trouble free. Luxor will most likely be generally quiet. But, for Cairo you will have to watch events and decide at the time.

Hastings, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: safe to visit cairo april 2012??

I am going to Alexandria, Cairo & El Gouna in December to January, if you can wait I can let you know how things are. I will be going whatever the situation is. Sharm itself will be free of trouble as it is nothing but a tourist resort. I am expecting the same in El Gouna. In Cairo the place to avoid is Tahir Sqr, the only trouble is if you want to see the Egyptian Museum it is extremely close so if things haven't calmed down by then best to avoid but all the other tourist spots should give you no problem. The trouble spot in Alex is in the Smouha area but it is not as bad as Cairo & has been relatively trouble free the last couple of days, also it is at night when it is worst of the trouble. I personally believe by April you will have no worries, I will also be going to Alex again in April to May, so I pray things will be back to normal by then, but I have to say that Egypt seems to have lost something since the revolution.

london
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: safe to visit cairo april 2012??

Thanks for your help.up be staying in dreams vacations, any excursions I go on will be with Thomson tour guides who are based in the hotel.we really wanted to see the pyramids and some of the culture of Egypt,we were even thinking of an overnight excursion to Jerusalem that was on offer bit I have no idea if that would be safe now either. Does anyone have any suggestions of an alternative destination that would satisfy my desire to see culture as rich ad egypt's?

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
2,861 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: safe to visit cairo april 2012??

Try and visit Luxor the temples are breathtaking there is so much to see and do in Luxor. I am hoping to go back again in June and revisit. Cairo is amazing but play it by ear when you arrive we never pre-book our tours. I hope you do get to see as much as you can.

5. Re: safe to visit cairo april 2012??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2012, 14:42
london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
11,929 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: safe to visit cairo april 2012??

Who can see the future? But there is no need to worry as you can decide when you get there. Excursions are much cheaper booked locally anyway,

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
246 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: safe to visit cairo april 2012??

I just returned (yesterday) and I would not hesitate to make plans for next spring. By then the unrest should be settled and you will enjoy the lack of other tourists who will stay away due to unwarranted fear.

8. Re: safe to visit cairo april 2012??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10 December 2011, 14:35
London, United...
Level Contributor
4,538 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: safe to visit cairo april 2012??

travelking2000

12 posts in one day! Why do I sense the launch of yet another advertising campaign?

Edited: 08 December 2011, 12:36
Australia
Destination Expert
for Cairo, Egypt, Nile River Valley, Luxor
Level Contributor
7,542 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: safe to visit cairo april 2012??

Travelking you may want to change your profile information as rip2egypt.com is a little off putting, lol

You cannot advertise yourself here on the forum either, contact TA to get yourself listed. If you want to help on the forum just answer questions without advertising your Company.