We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What do Cairenes think of the Pyramids and...?

Which Cairo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
204 posts
246 reviews
Save Topic
What do Cairenes think of the Pyramids and...?

Couple of questions -

Just wondering what Cairenes in general think about the Pyramids at Giza.?

I mean, are they that bothered about them, have they even visited them - perhaps gone inside - like other tourists - or do they have a relationship with them, or lack of interest in visiting them as an attraction perhaps in a similar way that Londoners have with - yes sure there are some difference - say, the Tower of London.(i.e. most londoners or people who have not bothered to go INTO the The Tower (except for once perhaps) and probably not understand too much about its history and neither do they care so much. Or Westminster Abbey - again how many Londoners have actually visited more than once?

Would the average Cairene care much for the famous 'Sound and Light Show' at the Pyramids or what about the average Egyptian?

How much Egyptian pharonic history does an Egyptian generally understand - obviously there wld be difference between the Lower classes / Middle and Upper?

How does Egyptian historical knowldge of their own country compare with lets say somebody from Britain (or US / European from a similar class?)

Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,518 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What do Cairenes think of the Pyramids and...?

Hmmmm. if our experience is respresentative???

The average Egyptian we spoke to had more knowledge of their country than most Americans do of their own country or the world. A Shocker, I know.

Many that we spoke to do not go to the sites unless they get a locals special because the prices are prohibitive for their budgets.

My opinion is that they know more, care more but are less likely to participate due to cost.

Q- If they shine a light upon the "Eye" you feel....?

London
Level Contributor
204 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What do Cairenes think of the Pyramids and...?

@Eddie,

interesting, and in which case, not so disimilar to the reasons that Londoners do not care too much to enter the Tower of London or Westminster Abbey or St Pauls Cathedral - all about £14 (€17 or $20)

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,537 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What do Cairenes think of the Pyramids and...?

Eddie L is probably right when he says that the average Egyptian probably knows more of his/her own history than the average American or Briton. However, I’m not sure where the ‘famous’ sound & light show comes into it. It’s a bit of a tourist sideshow that may be fun but needn’t be seen to appreciate the pyramids.

As spectacular as they were, there is also a lot more than pyramids and pharaohs for the historically-minded Egyptian to appreciate, e.g. interactions with Assyrians, Persians, Greeks & Macedonians, Romans, Byzantines, Arabs, Crusaders, Mongols, Ottomans, the French and the British to name but a few

Edited: 13 January 2012, 02:08
Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
170 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What do Cairenes think of the Pyramids and...?

I agree with what the previous posters said. I will add though that in our experience they do visit the pyramids. As someone mentioned, the egyptians get a special cheaper rate.

We visited Giza on a Friday, which many egyptians have off work. There were a lot of locals there. Our guide (who lives in Giza) told us that many will come on Fridays because it is a nice way to spend the day off, especially because many people don't have gardens and back yards like we do, so on their day off they visit places outdoors. Many that we saw were young lovers (teenage couples or couples in their 20s) sitting and chatting together somewhere quiet. Our guide said they like to get away and have a little privacy and they can canoodle a little somewhere like the pyramids compared to downtown where people they know many see them :)

5. Re: What do Cairenes think of the Pyramids and...?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 February 2013, 10:20