We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pyramids from Port Sokhna

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Pyramids from Port Sokhna

We are going on a Thomson Cruise in March that stops in Port Sokhna for Cairo and the Pyramids. However none of the cruises excursions interest me as looking to see the pyramids and sphinx etc but not the Cairo Museum etc. Does anyone have any tips for getting from Port Sokhna to the Pyramids or the Pyramids themselves?

Thanks

West Country
Level Contributor
1,460 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pyramids from Port Sokhna

The Cairo museum is in my opinion, not to be missed. Certainly the pyramids wouldn't take the whole day, as, wonderful as they are, there's probably only a couple of hours worth there. That again is only my opinion so I would really try and combine museum and pyramids for maximum effect.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,154 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pyramids from Port Sokhna

Sorry but I’m a little confused. The way I read it, your cruise has a tour of the pyramids and museum but you want to miss out the museum and do your own visit to Giza. I’m sure you could arrange your own DIY tour by taxi or hired car but, unless your ship is going to be in port a while (which I doubt), it would involve considerable hassle and some risk.

It may not be as long as you want and you will feel rushed but the time spent at Giza will be enough to see the pyramids and Sphinx. As for the museum, it is well worth a visit and it has a lot of stuff excavated at Giza. If you still want more time at the pyramids, there is always next time.

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
3,175 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pyramids from Port Sokhna

Got to agree with everyone else, the museum is a must see I loved it and would like to go back and spend longer there as I felt we didn't have long enough to see everything and read everything.

4. Re: Pyramids from Port Sokhna

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 January 2013, 10:19