We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nile Cruise for Kids?

San Salvador, El...
Level Contributor
657 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Nile Cruise for Kids?

Hi: Most package deals include 3-4 days on a Nile Cruise but several people, including one of the guides recommended here said kids will be bored to death. I have 3 adventurous boys and we live abroad always, so they are great travelers--ages 6/8/10. What do you think? Thanks much-Sue J

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
31,997 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nile Cruise for Kids?

Not all boats will take children and some of those have a stating age - so I would suggest you look at the ones who do to see what they provide for children on board.

They would be restricted to looking only at the sights so may get frustrated unless you are prepared to organise something else for them at the stops. The temples being restrictive are mornings usually so what would they do for the rest of the day & evening?

I would have thought that until they are a little older the Red Sea with the swimming, fish & coral would be a better option for them.

San Salvador, El...
Level Contributor
657 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nile Cruise for Kids?

Thanks for your thoughts. We live in Israel now so get to the Red Sea in Jordan often. The various tour operators I contacted suggested the Nile cruises and no one has mentioned restrictions for kids or age requiremnets. Only one of the prvate guides I contacted thought they may be bored. They think they can fish off the side of the boat! Maybe we can do a one day Nile cruise or something shorter. Thanks much-

Mentioned in this post
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Jordan
Jordan
Middle East
England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
31,997 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nile Cruise for Kids?

I think that sounds a good idea johnsong. A day or two would probably be enough for them as the pleasure of the cruise is seeing the countryside & life on the banks & the bazaars. Considering where you come from it probably wouldn't be the novelty that it would for children from Europe.

Be patient, when they are older they will be interested in the history of the sites.

Lucky you to live near such a beautiful sea.

Mentioned in this post
Europe
Europe
World
West Country
Level Contributor
1,460 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nile Cruise for Kids?

I suppose it depends upon the company/tour operator/boat owners etc but many brochures (at least in the UK) say that children under the ageof 12 aren't allowed on a cruise boat. As I say, I don't know who makes the rules though

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
294 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nile Cruise for Kids?

We have traveled with our kids since they were babies and they have loved all of the adventures in all corners of the world. If you think that your kids would get something out of it, I say go for it!

haysville,kansas
Level Contributor
325 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nile Cruise for Kids?

I recently returned from a Nile cruise. There was one boy, maybe about 10-12, on the ship. I never had the opportunity to chat with him, but I did feel so sorry for him, as there are no special things set up for the young people.

San Salvador, El...
Level Contributor
657 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nile Cruise for Kids?

Thanks for all your comments. I have gotten conflicting comments from the various tour operators I have been in touch with. One private guy well recommended here has urged against it saying kids are not able to use the pool after sunset etc. It must vary between boats. Ahhhhh. This is a tricky one--

West Sussex, UK
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Nile Cruise for Kids?

I would recommend you to get in touch with the 'adventure' type tour operators such as The Adventure company, or Exodus, or Imaginative traveller (all Uk companies) as they all do special family small group trips to Egypt which include all sorts of exciting activities planned with kids in mind. I took my kids on an amazing trip to India and a few of the other parents said they had done the trips to Egypt and they were great fun. You don't have to fly from the UK but can meet the group at the 1st hotel in Egypt.

Mentioned in this post
Egypt
Egypt
Africa
West Country
Level Contributor
1,460 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nile Cruise for Kids?

Boat pools, certainly on the cruises I have done, seem to shut down about sunset anyway ( depending upon the time ) and I have quite often fancied a cooling dip of a balmy evening only to be thwarted by an enthusiastic pool cleaner.

10. Re: Nile Cruise for Kids?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 05 April 2012, 08:37