We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cut out Memphis on day trip?

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
289 posts
334 reviews
Save Topic
Cut out Memphis on day trip?

Hi, I thought I posted this a few days ago but can't locate it, so I apologize if it went somewhere else. I am planning to do a day trip to see Giza, Dahshur, Saqqara, and Memphis. I added in Dahshur, and as a result another hour is added to the sightseeing as well as cost. I haven't heard many rave reviews about Memphis - is it an area we could skip, or should we keep it in the day itinerary. For those that have been, were you glad you saw Memphis, or would you have preferred to save the hour and spend it somewhere else?

Thanks as always,

Sandi

Edited: 22 March 2012, 16:56
London, United...
Level Contributor
5,599 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cut out Memphis on day trip?

A leisurely stroll through Memphis takes an hour max and is alright for the money but, if you are on a busy schedule, then you aren’t losing much if you skip it. Dahshur, on the other hand, may take more than an hour unless you just want a photo opportunity or feel fit enough to dash in and out of the ‘red’ pyramid. If something, has to go, Memphis should be your first choice.

Edited: 22 March 2012, 18:06
Australia
Destination Expert
for Cairo, Egypt, Nile River Valley, Luxor
Level Contributor
9,689 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cut out Memphis on day trip?

I loved Memphis and I'm glad I went there, we were pushed for time also and only spent about 30 minutes which imo was enough. The site that needs a lot of time is Saqqara - I've been there many times and will visit again next year.

The museum at Saqqara is fabulous and you should also make time for the Solar Boat Museum at Giza, both well worth the time and money.

Inverness, United...
Level Contributor
56 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cut out Memphis on day trip?

I visited Memhios in 2009 as an extra tour not icluded in our itinerary and to be honest it wasn't worth the extra money we paid, not a lot to see, a large statue of......I can't remember who and some market stalls

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
60 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cut out Memphis on day trip?

In my opinion, if you want to see a different Pyramid, then go to Saqqara to see Step Pyramid, but now in fact it is difficult to see it as all in scaffolding, not that easy to get an impression, but really nice to wonder around temples ruins and the main it is not crowded! As for Dashur, it is relatively close to Saqqara complex, Red Pyramid is so close to the road, you will find lots of locals there, it is well preserved, you can go inside as well and also you can climb it! Another pyramid, so called Bended pyramid is behind, there is now a special path with viewpoint at the end. As the pyramid as a little bit far to the desert, you can take a camel to take a tour around. In general I liked the place even more than Giza Plateau, still virgin, not crowded and something different.

Alexandria, Egypt
Level Contributor
59 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cut out Memphis on day trip?

it is too much in a day to visit dahshour giza + memphis +saqqara

memphis is a small museum let me tell you that it is not that important that you imagine it is great if you have time but if not it is much important to concentrate in dahshour and giza

enjoyyyyyyyy

Springfield...
Level Contributor
329 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cut out Memphis on day trip?

I've visited Memphis each time I've been in Cairo and really enjoy it. The statue of Ramses II in the open air museum is amazing. But I think the fact that you're in the ancient capitol of Lower Egypt and read so much about Memphis if you study ancient Egyptian history makes a visit worthwhile. I found it to be interesting, too, because it allows you to see a more rural area if your only destination is Cairo.

I also agree with the suggestion to visit Khufu's boat. Wonderful!

West Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
1,461 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cut out Memphis on day trip?

You have a very busy day planned to see Giza, Saqqara, Dahshur and Memphis in a day. There is lots to see at all of the site other than Memphis.

Dashur has a great location and not a lot of people go there. You can go in the Red Pyramid. The Bent Pyramid is close by and has most of its casing stone on it. You can see the Black and one other pyramid at a distance at Dahshur.

Saqqara is one of my favourites. The Step Pyramid is a must. I think you can also go into Teti's Pyramid. There are lots of great Mastabas to see here, which I would suggest you should do. The museum is very good.

Giza's only disadvatage is the peddlers. They can be a real nuisence. Seeing the Sphinx and the Giza Pyramids are great. The Solar Boat Museum is a must as well.

A very long day to see everything. If I had to drop one it would be Memphis.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
289 posts
334 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cut out Memphis on day trip?

thanks again for all of your replies, they have been very helpful. As much as I would like to see Memphis, I now think we'll be cutting it out to concentrate on the other areas. Very disappointed to hear that the Step Pyramid is covered in scaffolding, but i'd rather be prepared for it to be that way then get there and not know.

9. Re: Cut out Memphis on day trip?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 15:17