We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary help needed - 4 nights in Cairo

Which Cairo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
72 posts
179 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary help needed - 4 nights in Cairo

Hey guys,

I am going to be in Cairo from May 16th (Arrival: 07:35pm) to May 20th (Departure: 02:00pm) and now need help with making the right choices.

First I was thinking about spending the first 2 nights in Giza (Pyramids View Inn) to get the most out of the pyramids. I have been dreaming about visiting them since I was a little child.

Another thing I found and thought it would be amazing, an overnight tour to the White Desert. But as a solo traveler it can get quite expansive (Minamar offered me a tour for USD 280) so I am not sure if I can / want to afford it. Are there any tours I could join or are they all private? Maybe someone else is on a tour at that time and I could join in?

Also another concern about taking this trip would be not being able to see Cairo itself. I would come back in the evening of the 19th and would leave on the 20th.

As you can see I could really need some advice. I am so looking forward to visiting Egypt and I really want to make the most out of the little time I have there.

Thanks already!

Toby

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,570 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary help needed - 4 nights in Cairo

Can’t help with the desert idea but you can see a lot of Cairo in the time you have. If your plane arrives at 19:35 on 16 May, you probably won’t be in the hotel in Giza until 21:30 or, if the traffic is even more chaotic than usual, 22:00. You can then spend the next morning at the pyramids. Three or four hours in enough to have a good visit but you can spend longer if you want.

You may, for example, want to go inside the one or more pyramids and the solar boat museum. The Great Pyramid costs an extra LE 100 and closes for the lunch hour. Whichever of the other two pyramids is open is much cheaper. The Boat Museum (well worth a quick visit) is LE 50.

Many people spend the morning at the pyramids and then go off to the Egyptian Museum and the market. If you don’t do the Museum the first day, you really should squeeze it in somewhere. If you are fascinated by the pyramids, why not do a day’s tour of Memphis, Sakkara and Dahshur. You can book a tour or just hire a cab for the day at LE 100 to LE 150. There isn’t much to see at Memphis but Sakkara can take some time. You can go into Teti’s pyramid at Sakkara (to see the pyramid texts) and the ‘red’ pyramid at Dahshur, a bit of a climb but well worth it.

Other sites are Coptic and Islamic Cairo including the Saladin’s Citadel. By my count, you have all of 17, 18 and 19 May to play with. Assuming you don’t go to the desert, you can do all these things and more. On the 20th, you should leave for the airport around 10:30–11:00 to check in about 12:00 or before if the airline wants you there earlier.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
72 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary help needed - 4 nights in Cairo

Thanks for the quick reply and the good adivce.

I decided to spend the first 2 nights in Giza and spend the Thursday (17 May) on visiting all the different pyramids (also Sakkara and Dashur).

On Friday, the 19th, I will head directly to Cairo and stay there for 2 nights. I have the Friday afternoon and the full Saturday to explore Cairo.

I thought about a daytrip to Alexandria but probably won't do it because I would have hardly any time for Cairo then.

Thanks for everything!

3. Re: Itinerary help needed - 4 nights in Cairo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 16 April 2012, 15:05
Stoney Creek...
Level Contributor
36 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary help needed - 4 nights in Cairo

I think you made good choices there. I did the same thing and actually spent 6 days in Cairo in January. First day was just to get over jet lag from my 19 hour trip from Toronto, Canada so I did nothing. Spent 3 nights then went to Aswan, came back after touring much of the country and spent another 2 nights before heading off to the White Desert for an overnight camping trip.

I must say that the White Desert was one of the highlights of my trip but I am a photographer so I was really looking forward to this part of the trip. It was cold at night and I got no sleep but it was incredible nevertheless.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
72 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary help needed - 4 nights in Cairo

Thanks for the reply!

I am quite happy myself. Well, the White Desert I still want to do but probably have to leave it for the next time when I'm not traveling alone and have to pay the whole tour by myself.

I would not consider myself as a photographer but I'm interested in taking pictures and therefore I am sure I would enjoy the Desert Tour as well.

With which operator did you make the tour? How much was it? Maybe for some time in the future I can keep that in mind.

Just 1 month until Egypt, quite excited :)

6. Re: Itinerary help needed - 4 nights in Cairo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 19:41