We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Koshari Restaurant Review

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
1,912 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
New Koshari Restaurant Review

I found this item whilst browsing the news and thought it might be of use to those looking to find somewhere cheap, yet safe (cleanliness wise) and good value for money, to eat in central Cairo, this review of a new Koshari restaurant has just appeared in the al Masry al Youm newspaper online edition:

egyptindependent.com/news/fabulous-koshari-c…

It's located in Zamalek, and so is fairly easy to get to from most of the hotels near the Nile.

The reviewer seems to be impressed with their hygene standards and the quality of the food on offer and prices seem to be quite reasonable at LE14 per portion, or LE 45 for a 4 person family meal.

The other advantage, for vegetarians, is that they appear to offer other dishes in this category.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cairo, Egypt, Nile River Valley, Luxor
Level Contributor
10,157 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Koshari Restaurant Review

Yummo, will try it next time,thanks:)

2. Re: New Koshari Restaurant Review

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2012, 14:40
Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
58 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Koshari Restaurant Review

We were just in Cairo last week and a friend of ours who lives in Zamalek told us about how it recently opened so we walked over one night and tried it. Amazing!!!!!! The restaurant is super clean and the food is full of flavor and taste. I had the Koshary, 2 of my friends had meatballs and our other friend had something with shrimp and the portions are huge.

We took it to go and added a few of their side items and were only able to finish half of it, we saved the rest for leftovers the following morning and it tasted even better the next day.

The take out containers remind me of tupperware. My friend told them they'll go out of business if they continue to use such high quality take out containers. Great restaurant!!!

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cairo, Egypt, Nile River Valley, Luxor
Level Contributor
10,157 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Koshari Restaurant Review

Thanks for the feedback Maui, it sounds good and I will definitely try it as I usually stay in Zamalek.

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
328 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Koshari Restaurant Review

I will be staying in Zamalek in July, and was looking forward to trying this place out. But my niece, who's in college there told me that it is probably overpriced since it's in Zamalek. Of course, she lives on a student's budget. Were the prices reasonable?

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
1,912 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Koshari Restaurant Review

Sorry bayou babe, I've not actually visited this restaurant, and can only relate the quoted prices to those in the UK, but the prices given in the review are about (GB) £1.50 for a single portion or (GB) £5 for the 4 person family meal.

At today's exchange rate this would work out at approximately US$2.4 and US$3.85 for the 2 meal options given.

As I say, I can only give you a clue as to how this would relate to prices in the UK, but £1.50 generally wouldn't even buy you a decent sandwich; think chicken salad, at lunch time.

The Scottish Borders
Level Contributor
2,549 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New Koshari Restaurant Review

Although not in Cairo -

I recently paid 5LE for a very large portion of Koshari at a local restaurant in Aswan (name unknown - I can't read Arabic), I'm thinking those would be tourist prices too.

When I was last in Hamees restaurant in Luxor they were offering a large sized portion for 7LE (plus tax) (not great quality - just OK)

The restaurant GParry mentioned looks really good though and when next in Cairo I would certainly pay a visit - even though the prices are a little higher you still cant complain at them, still excellent value for what you get & in what looks like a lovely setting too.

Koshari is absolutely delicious and very filling - I make it quite often at home for dinner but it sadly never compares with the real stuff out there

Suzie :-)

UK
Level Contributor
598 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New Koshari Restaurant Review

@bayou babe: 14LE is fairly expensive for koshari. The only other koshari place on Zamalek I've been to is Alex Top, where a huge family-sized portion is 15LE.

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
328 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New Koshari Restaurant Review

Thanks for the responses! My niece says she knows where to take us and it will be affordable and good! I guess I just need to follow her lead since she's been living there for 3 years! Anyhow, I'm beyond excited and can't wait to get there. Only 6 weeks to go! Oh, but it's gonna be soooooo hot!!!

bb

10. Re: New Koshari Restaurant Review

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 17:41