We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Convincing information

Indonesia
Level Contributor
50 posts
210 reviews
Save Topic
Convincing information

Me and my partner would visit Egypt in Sept / Oct 2012, but I am still not convince yet with the some fixed information :

- Is it possible for not married couple to stay in hotel at the same room ?

- Is it true, we can't hold our hands in the public ?

Thanks for your info

Loughborough...
Level Contributor
538 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Convincing information

Hello,

As far as i am aware staying in a hotel room when you are not married is ok, i have done this without problems. You can hold hands in public if you wish, there is no law but Egyption culture frowns upon public displays of affection between partners so its a matter of respecting local customs rather than the law.

Indonesia
Level Contributor
50 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Convincing information

Thanks Julian for the information...

Well its my first time travelling to middle east, so I am not too convincing with those local custom or culture...

Just want to make sure, do and don't before arrive there...

Loughborough...
Level Contributor
538 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Convincing information

Enjoy yout trip!

West Country
Level Contributor
1,460 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Convincing information

I am not married to my partner and we share a room and hold hands in public. But....

I think i read somewhere that there were restrictions on certain couples sharing rooms...would that be unmarried Muslims of the opposite sex ?..but I might be wrong so don't quote me...its just something at the back of my mind that there was a thread on the Sharm forum a while back about who could share a room..

You might want to do a search on the Sharm El Sheikh forum for "umarried couples sharing hotel rooms" or something similar..

West Country
Level Contributor
1,460 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Convincing information

It won't let me edit my post...grrr..

Had a look at the various threads about people sharing rooms..found several. Seems to be fine to share though must admit that the posts seem to be looking at it from a Western perspective and I have no idea whether there are religious considerations to be taken into account eg two unmarried Muslims sharing a room etc..

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
Level Contributor
5,868 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Convincing information

The question of sharing although not married to each other crops up occasionally - the prohibition is against unmarried Egyptians (i.e. travelling on an Egyptian passport) sharing a room with each other or with foreigners.

7. Re: Convincing information

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2012, 14:40
Indonesia
Level Contributor
50 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Convincing information

Thanks for your info...

We are not holding arabian passport..

I read about NOT sharing hotel room in some article about do and don't in middle east tips, but i am a bit mixed up with Dubai, Turkey and Egypt...

Travelling to Egypt is my partner's choice, meanwhile I am not convincing with the latest travel warning and a lot "don't"

9. Re: Convincing information

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2013, 03:17