We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

arriving cairo 2am - is it safe to reach hotel at early morn

India
Level Contributor
221 posts
129 reviews
Save Topic
arriving cairo 2am - is it safe to reach hotel at early morn

we are loking at flights into cairo reaching cairo around 2am - is that a safe hour to get to the hotel from the airport

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,522 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: arriving cairo 2am - is it safe to reach hotel at early morn

Yes, your biggest risk will be bargaining a reasonable fare with the taxi drivers on the night shift.

Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: arriving cairo 2am - is it safe to reach hotel at early morn

Yes, Cairo is totaly safe, my 9 years old daughter had take a walk alone on the street in the downtown at11pm without any insult.:)

There are more kind of taxi, choose the white-black "square" and ask taxameter, the cost to the center form airport can not be more like 20egp. But note it, there are privet taxies looks like I recommend, but the have not taxameter and ask much more money. Só just ask meter:)

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,522 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: arriving cairo 2am - is it safe to reach hotel at early morn

“Cairo is totally safe...”

Lzsolt – Exaggeration does not help anyone. Nowhere is “totally” safe these days. On the contrary, Cairo’s crime rate has been on the increase since the revolution. (Offenses include mugging, bag snatching, carjacking and sexual assault.) The rate, however, is still so low that tourists who avoid political demos and use the same sort of common sense that they would at home have very little to worry about.

West Country
Level Contributor
1,460 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: arriving cairo 2am - is it safe to reach hotel at early morn

My home town isn't "totally" safe.

As BBeckett says its a matter of using common sense and avoiding demonstrations. A 9 year old walking alone at 11pm doesn't sound sensible to me but thats just my opinion.

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,522 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: arriving cairo 2am - is it safe to reach hotel at early morn

It didn’t sound sensible to me either.

Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: arriving cairo 2am - is it safe to reach hotel at early morn

Hey guys, I been 7-8 times in Cairo in last 3 years. I met only friendly and warm wellcoming people. I felt this in this april, one years after the revolution. The only different are the lot of beggars.

I have friends who was there more times after the revolution, and the told me same.

Two of my friends was is Cairo on this week ( separate, not together) and they didnt tell me about any insult. One sharred few photos of the woderfull Cairo night life.

Maybe the "totally safe" is not best word, be just siple safety. But i think there is no more risk in Cairo, like in the most of european capital.

Peace with you friends:)

Edited: 09 September 2012, 21:09
Level Contributor
72 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: arriving cairo 2am - is it safe to reach hotel at early morn

It is safe but better for you to have your transfer arranged before you arrive and there are many of them and even you can pay upon arrival .

8. Re: arriving cairo 2am - is it safe to reach hotel at early morn

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2012, 13:13
9. Re: arriving cairo 2am - is it safe to reach hotel at early morn

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2013, 10:15