We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Women around Egypt

London, United...
Level Contributor
104 posts
Save Topic
Women around Egypt

Hi all

Last preperations before setting off next Thursday

We'll be in Egypt (Nuweiba, Sharm, Luxor, Cairo) for just over a week and one of my freinds I'm travelling with read something about men feeling they're entitled to to go to women with blonde hair and touch it. Is there any truth in this? Not sure where she read this.

There are two guys (me and one other) and 1 blonde girl!

Thanks for your help

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,335 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Women around Egypt

I'm blonde and have just come back - no trouble at all. But then, I always dressed appropriately for Egypt and I'm a bit older than your group, I'd say!!

Edited: 09 October 2012, 12:56
London, United...
Level Contributor
104 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Women around Egypt

Thanks for your response!

I'll let her know to stay covered up :)

haysville,kansas
Level Contributor
325 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Women around Egypt

I spent three weeks in Egypt this past Spring. I'm blonde and had no problems, I also dressed conservatively. I know you'll enjoy your trip.

Doncaster, United...
Destination Expert
for Nabq Bay, Sharm El Sheikh
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Women around Egypt

Hi

I think Egyptians are just fascinated by blonde hair but they don't mean anything disrespectful. Our son is blonde and while in sharm with so many tourists ,locals barely paid any attention but when we go to Cairo he gets mobbed. Lots of teenage girls normally who want their photos taken with him and touch his hair constantly ! He loves it :)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
19 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Women around Egypt

As a young woman (blond or otherwise), she may get some stares and comments she won't appreciate - though it varies a bit from one experience to another.

I've seen quite a few foreign women (including blondes) walking by themselves or in groups around Cairo (including "Islamic Cairo"), and while that doesn't mean they don't get bothered, it shouldn't be a safety issue, especially with companions.

That already sounded more scary then I meant it to; all in all, I think it will be fine :)

Alexandria, Egypt
Level Contributor
884 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Women around Egypt

and no man should be touching your hair or any other bit of you anyway.

No Egyptian lady would ever accept an unknown man coming up and touching her hair. When in Rome .....

UK
Level Contributor
810 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Women around Egypt

"...and no man should be touching your hair or any other bit of you anyway. "

Completely agree with EgyptianGodess. Regardless of hair colour, women benefit from understanding the social norms when travelling in Egypt.

Royston
Level Contributor
1,930 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Women around Egypt

I'm blonde and petite and I've holidayed in Egypt at Marsa alam and travelled in Luxor and Aswan and I've never had anyone give me unwanted attention. I've had gawping but that's about it. The Egyptian people are on the whole lovely. If anyone gets too close for comfort make it plain you're not happy.

Dress conservatively, that does help, you get respect because you show respect for their culture.

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
98 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Women around Egypt

for blonds or not

to wear long and to cover as you can of your body make you more safe

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
54 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Women around Egypt

I would be more worried about Egyptian men touching something worse than your hair.

My girlfriend and I got back yesterday from an 18 day trip around Egypt and for the first time ever we both agreed that we couldn't wait to be home.

Even though we would be holding hands down the street this didn't stop the disgusting men throwing comments our way, following us down the street, trying to touch her bum and on another ocassion even groping her breast.

They wouldn't dare think to do this to someone from their own culture so what gives them the right to do it to foreign people? I think they're animals. Whether it be Cairo, Luxor, Aswan or Abu Simbel, there was also something happening which made us want to go home.

I will be writing my full reviews over the coming days about all our experiences. I have always wanted to go to Egypt since I was little and thought I would be well planned for all the hassle having already been to places like Marrakech, Brazil and Thailand, but this was just horrible.