We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Leaving Egypt With Expired Tourist Visa

cairo
1 post
Save Topic
Leaving Egypt With Expired Tourist Visa

Hi All,

I'm an American citizen and will be leaving Cairo to go back home on December 16. If my math is correct, my tourist visa expired on November 21. I've been unable to get an extension and it's too late now so I'm just going to have to wing it. I know I can expect a fee at the airport when I'm departing, but I want to make sure that's all it will be. I can't miss my flight and don't want to get in any trouble. I won't be returning to Egypt so I'm not worried about reentry. I've read lots of different things about this, so I wanted to see if someone could comment from recent personal experience. Thanks!

West Country
Level Contributor
1,460 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Leaving Egypt With Expired Tourist Visa

Normally if you outstay your welcome anywhere they boot you out the country ..,, but you are leaving anyway so I would very much doubt any action would be taken.

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,741 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Leaving Egypt With Expired Tourist Visa

Hopefully, someone with firsthand knowledge will post a reply but I agree with SWmuse and, when all is said and done, they will probably not make too much of a fuss. Years ago, my wife overstayed her US tourist visa and they didn’t even blink when we left. In your case, a lot will depend upon the mood of the official(s) you encounter on the day but I can’t imagine there will be much more than some bureaucratic fuss and, as you say, a small ‘fee’. I would, however, bite the bullet and check in as early as possible.

Vancouver, Wn.
Level Contributor
427 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Leaving Egypt With Expired Tourist Visa

Must be different rules for different countries. I often overstay the 21 day tourist visa in the Philippines but have never gone to the airport for departure without having taken care of it. A brief hour or hour plus visit to the Bureau of Immigration and for a fee, I extend the visa to 60 days so no problem with departure.

4. Re: Leaving Egypt With Expired Tourist Visa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 December 2013, 03:15