We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying Rail Tickets

Which Cairo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
13 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Buying Rail Tickets

Hello. We are traveling to Egypt next week and plan to take the train from Cairo to Luxor and then from Luxor to Aswan. I read that you can buy tickets at Ramses station, but I also read that there are websites we can buy them at. I would appreciate it if you could share your experience on the best option. Thanks in advance!

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
132 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying Rail Tickets

The best option to get it when you will be in Cairo from Ramses Station

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,728 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying Rail Tickets

When I took the sleeper, I bought the tickets in Ramses Station with no problem whatsoever. Web purchases are fairly new and, while I know of no specific instances, it’s possible that they haven’t go all the bugs out. In these days of low tourist numbers you probably needn’t worry but—if you do opt for Ramses Station— it’s usually advised to buy your tickets ASAP in case the train you want is fully booked.

Quainton, United...
Level Contributor
7,701 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying Rail Tickets

If you mean the Sleeper, book this online at e7gezly.com/sleepingtrains/#get_tickets_div

If you mean daytime express trains, you won't be sold tickets for these at the station because of silly restrictions, but you can easily either book them online at https://enr.gov.eg/ticketing/public/login.jsf or you can simply board the train without a ticket and pay on board (although then if its very busy you may have to sit on the floor until someone with a seat gets off, so online booking best)

UK
Level Contributor
598 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buying Rail Tickets

I've used the online booking system at https://enr.gov.eg/ticketing/public/login.jsf for the non-sleeper trains a few times now and it works fine. You register, pay by credit card and print out the eticket which you show to the conductor on the train.

There are a few quirks however. For one, not all journeys can be booked online. Cairo to Luxor or Cairo to Aswan are both bookable, but Luxor to Aswan or vice versa aren't - despite all the Cairo to Aswan trains stopping at Luxor !

Also, not that it's an issue in your case, you can only book seats a maximum of 14 days out.

5. Re: Buying Rail Tickets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 December 2013, 10:16