We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does devaluation of Egypt Pound change your tipping amount?

sacramento, ca
Level Contributor
39 posts
118 reviews
Save Topic
Does devaluation of Egypt Pound change your tipping amount?

The Egyptian pound is undergoing a devaluation. Last year it was about 6 EP to the dollar. Today it is about 6.42 EP to the dollar, or about a 7% devaluation.

Are you increasing your tipping amounts somewhat to reflect the devaluation or now changing to tipping in dollars or other currency?

West Country
Level Contributor
1,460 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Does devaluation of Egypt Pound change your tipping amount?

No. The exchange rate will always fluctuate and I would always tip in the same amounts dependant upon service received and I would always tip in the local currency.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
Level Contributor
5,843 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Does devaluation of Egypt Pound change your tipping amount?

No.

Like SWmuse, I always tip in L.E. - and, after all, what matters to recipients is the buying power of the tip, not the cost to me of buying their currency.

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
256 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Does devaluation of Egypt Pound change your tipping amount?

No.

I been to Egypt when I've gotten 11 L.E. to the pound an I've been when I've gotten less than nine, so while I have no intention of increasing them with a better rate of exchange than of late, nor did I reduce them when the exchange rate swung against me either.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cairo, Egypt, Nile River Valley, Luxor
Level Contributor
10,076 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Does devaluation of Egypt Pound change your tipping amount?

And another no, the difference is very small. I never tip in foreign either unless I have no LE.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
Level Contributor
5,843 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Does devaluation of Egypt Pound change your tipping amount?

"The exchange rate will always fluctuate"

Over the years, I have obtained between L.E.5.5 and L.E.10.5 for each £1.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor, Nile River Valley, Egypt
Level Contributor
9,501 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Does devaluation of Egypt Pound change your tipping amount?

As with the rest, I use LE for most purchases and tipping when in Egypt, so it makes no difference to me either.

Does the OP use $'s for tipping?

sacramento, ca
Level Contributor
39 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Does devaluation of Egypt Pound change your tipping amount?

I had planned to use $ on the first day until I can exchange for small bills of egyptian pounds. I can use $1 for tips for porter in hotels, etc in place of EP, but not for smaller tips. For a tour guide I will use $ or EP depending on what I have in my possession. I try to be fair without being overly generous. I do feel for the people in Egypt and their economy.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor, Nile River Valley, Egypt
Level Contributor
9,501 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Does devaluation of Egypt Pound change your tipping amount?

It is usually considered better to change your $ to LE in the arrivals halls before immigration at the kiosks that sell your visa if you are buying on arrival.

That way you have LE for tips instantly for those such as luggage porters.

You may not get enough in small denominations on 1st transaction - hand a large note back and ask for small. Repeat until you have enough small to keep you going

I am not sure if you are aware that you get a better rate in Egypt due to the very small gap between buy & sell prices - see here https:/…Currency-En.aspx

9. Re: Does devaluation of Egypt Pound change your tipping amount?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 January 2014, 05:20